Quail incubation eggs

harmony farm

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2016
Victoria australia
Hey all

First attempt at producing quail hatching in a incubator. Tried a dozen and now day 21 no hatchlings. Temp pretty constant through out the time. Only thing was humidity dropped over night and had to top up water every morning. Do you think I'm wasting my time keeping them in incubator and should I just give up this time ?

Your thoughts ladies/ gents

Thanks Chris

It can't hurt to wait another day or two IMHO. If nothing hatches after that, disect the eggs and see what they look like inside. What you see might indicate what went wrong. For example, no developement at all = not fertilized.

Also, are you using two thermometers and hygrometers? If you rely on the crappy thermo/hygro that comes on many incubators, your actual temps and humidity might be WAY off even though the meters look like they're right on. Get another good thermo/hygro to be sure.

I made that mistake my first time and had miserable results.

Hey all

First attempt at producing quail hatching in a incubator. Tried a dozen and now day 21 no hatchlings. Temp pretty constant through out the time. Only thing was humidity dropped over night and had to top up water every morning. Do you think I'm wasting my time keeping them in incubator and should I just give up this time ?

Your thoughts ladies/ gents

Thanks Chris

If these are coturnix eggs they are 4 days late so I would stop but I would open each one and see if they are fertile or not. If they are fertile then most likely your temp is way to low. Like Gilpinguy said get another thermometer and check it against the other one.. I have about 7 0f them and none read the same. What kind of incubator do you have? Are the eggs yours are shipped?

Perhaps they were just not fertilized. What is your male to female ratio? What was the humidity that you tried to keep them at? Is it more likely for high humidity to ruin the hatch than low humidity. Many people dry incubate for this very reason. If it is too humid they can "drown" in the shell.

Oh boy, this is the first I've heard of high humidity being a problem! I understand the concept of low humidity issues, but is there a range that can be considered a happy medium?

My plan for my first hatch was to aim for 65%.

Can you give us newbies more info please?

Thanks so much!

Oh boy, this is the first I've heard of high humidity being a problem! I understand the concept of low humidity issues, but is there a range that can be considered a happy medium?

My plan for my first hatch was to aim for 65%.

Can you give us newbies more info please?

Thanks so much!

I hatch mine 45%-55% first 14 days then 65%-75% while in lockdown. This is for coturnix eggs

Thank You pk!

I'm planning my first hatch when I'm a little more up and running.....and when I have another coop finished but I'm trying to learn now instead of the hard way...Appreciate any and all info.....

Back
Top Bottom