Quail treats

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve come to figure out that my quail love eating pomegranate seeds and cilantro. I raised them from babies but they were still super skiddish. But, now they associate me with treats. They make the most adorable noises, and one makes an almost excited squawk when she sees me coming. They go crazy over pomegranate seeds I count about about three per quail and scatter them in and they go bananas. Cilantro is a second favorite of theirs. They will eat a bushel in under an hour. Just want to share and ask what treats if any do you give your quails?

I’ve come to figure out that my quail love eating pomegranate seeds and cilantro. I raised them from babies but they were still super skiddish. But, now they associate me with treats. They make the most adorable noises, and one makes an almost excited squawk when she sees me coming. They go crazy over pomegranate seeds I count about about three per quail and scatter them in and they go bananas. Cilantro is a second favorite of theirs. They will eat a bushel in under an hour. Just want to share and ask what treats if any do you give your quails?
Mine get mealworms. I have a mealworm population in my quail cages breeding and what not so whenever those come out of their hiding spots they get sucked up.

Mine get mealworms. I have a mealworm population in my quail cages breeding and what not so whenever those come out of their hiding spots they get sucked up.
How did you manage to do that? Mine are in an aviary instead of wire cage. If it isn’t too much work I might give that a try.

How did you manage to do that? Mine are in an aviary instead of wire cage. If it isn’t too much work I might give that a try.
I just threw a bunch in one day a couple months later I was moving some stuff around in the cage and there were hundreds of mealworms and still is. They help to keep the smell down a ton too

I've tried a few things:
Dried mealworms/black soldier fly larvae: Strangely, only a few of my birds really like these? The ones that do go absolutely nuts for them though.
Live crickets: Very attractive to the quail but a pain since mine are kept in a cage.
Broccoli, steamed: Eh. Not a lot of interest.
Butternut squash, steamed: Not a whole lot of interest but they did eat through it in a couple of days.
Egg/eggshell omelet: Also surprisingly not much interest, but they did eat it in a few days.
Silver needles (a common edible weed): Decent interest, the hens especially like eating the tender leaves off of it.
Dandelions: Decent interest but less so than silver needles
Lettuce: No idea, they scattered it all over the cage and trampled it :/
Millet seed: Fed this with their gamebird feed so I'm not sure, but they seem to like it and will pick it out.

I've tried a few things:
Dried mealworms/black soldier fly larvae: Strangely, only a few of my birds really like these? The ones that do go absolutely nuts for them though.
Live crickets: Very attractive to the quail but a pain since mine are kept in a cage.
Broccoli, steamed: Eh. Not a lot of interest.
Butternut squash, steamed: Not a whole lot of interest but they did eat through it in a couple of days.
Egg/eggshell omelet: Also surprisingly not much interest, but they did eat it in a few days.
Silver needles (a common edible weed): Decent interest, the hens especially like eating the tender leaves off of it.
Dandelions: Decent interest but less so than silver needles
Lettuce: No idea, they scattered it all over the cage and trampled it :/
Millet seed: Fed this with their gamebird feed so I'm not sure, but they seem to like it and will pick it out.
Give cilantro a try and see. I never thought mine would love it so much.

Back
Top Bottom