Quechua Thread

I have a Quechua rooster that I am putting over my two Easter Egger (Ameraucana lineage) hens in order to bring back more of the qualities I enjoyed in hatchery birds sold as Araucana prior to the standard changing the face of the bird that originally used the name. I don't want the current Aracauna chickens and I don't want the color limitations of the current Ameraucanas and I most definately don't want breeder project Easter Eggers that have expanded the bloodlines and crossed in other breeds to make olive eggers so that any colored egg layer is being called an Easter Egger. What I want is to bring back more of the original bloodlines in order to have birds that more closely resemble the birds I fell in love with in my youth. If I had realized how muddy the breed would end up from those original "mutt" chickens I adored, I would have made an effort to conserve the bloodlines.

Does anyone have a flock from the hatchery "Aracaunas" of the 1980's that has not been influenced by the development of the current Aracauna and Ameraucana breeds? Which hatcheries have stayed true to that original breed that was nicknamed Easter Egger chickens? How can I utilize my Quechua rooster to get the characteristics back into my own Easter Eggers?

I love the fact that they all looked unique and layed individual shades of bright pastel blue and green, and even pink (not rose tinted beige) eggs. They were such hardy chickens too. I raised mine in Colorado and Washington before moving to town. If only we had kept backyard chickens when we first gave up our rural lifestyle for financial reasons, I could have kept my closed flock going.

I have a Quechua rooster that I am putting over my two Easter Egger (Ameraucana lineage) hens in order to bring back more of the qualities I enjoyed in hatchery birds sold as Araucana prior to the standard changing the face of the bird that originally used the name. I don't want the current Aracauna chickens and I don't want the color limitations of the current Ameraucanas and I most definately don't want breeder project Easter Eggers that have expanded the bloodlines and crossed in other breeds to make olive eggers so that any colored egg layer is being called an Easter Egger. What I want is to bring back more of the original bloodlines in order to have birds that more closely resemble the birds I fell in love with in my youth. If I had realized how muddy the breed would end up from those original "mutt" chickens I adored, I would have made an effort to conserve the bloodlines.

Does anyone have a flock from the hatchery "Aracaunas" of the 1980's that has not been influenced by the development of the current Aracauna and Ameraucana breeds? Which hatcheries have stayed true to that original breed that was nicknamed Easter Egger chickens? How can I utilize my Quechua rooster to get the characteristics back into my own Easter Eggers?

I love the fact that they all looked unique and layed individual shades of bright pastel blue and green, and even pink (not rose tinted beige) eggs. They were such hardy chickens too. I raised mine in Colorado and Washington before moving to town. If only we had kept backyard chickens when we first gave up our rural lifestyle for financial reasons, I could have kept my closed flock going.

You might go to Sandhill Preservation for old line EE's. They keep a bunch that they breed for the blueness of the eggs. It is possible that they may go back to the 1980's. Shoot them an email and ask. They are really nice people.

You might go to Sandhill Preservation for old line EE's. They keep a bunch that they breed for the blueness of the eggs. It is possible that they may go back to the 1980's. Shoot them an email and ask. They are really nice people.

I just looked up their website. They are sold out through July and they list other egg colors that I don't want and can't risk ending up with in the future. They do not mention having the lines I am hoping to find so I don"t think that hatchery has what I am looking for but I thank you for the lead.

I raised a bunch of chicks from three diffetent sources in the past and only ended up with four hens that had the proper look and egg color. I unfortunately had a bunch of beige egg layers and accidently hatched the eggs with my Orpington eggs because they shared a coop and I did not expect beige eggs from them. I ended up with crossbred chickens that I had to get rid of as mistakes rather than having colored egg layers as expected. I had far too many junk chickens passed off as Easter Eggers, including some with yellow legs, that I had to dispose of as well so in the end I was highly disappointed.

I just looked up their website. They are sold out through July and they list other egg colors that I don't want and can't risk ending up with in the future. They do not mention having the lines I am hoping to find so I don"t think that hatchery has what I am looking for but I thank you for the lead.

I raised a bunch of chicks from three diffetent sources in the past and only ended up with four hens that had the proper look and egg color. I unfortunately had a bunch of beige egg layers and accidently hatched the eggs with my Orpington eggs because they shared a coop and I did not expect beige eggs from them. I ended up with crossbred chickens that I had to get rid of as mistakes rather than having colored egg layers as expected. I had far too many junk chickens passed off as Easter Eggers, including some with yellow legs, that I had to dispose of as well so in the end I was highly disappointed.
You may want to look up Awesome Araucana. On his website he talks about keeping the Mapuche race alive, and has been raising Araucanas for 40 years. I haven't contacted him myself, but I may in the near future.

You may want to look up Awesome Araucana.  On his website he talks about keeping the Mapuche race alive, and has been raising Araucanas for 40 years.  I haven't contacted him myself, but I may in the near future.

He has the rumpless tufted ones with the lethal genes that I had never even heard of until a few years back. I want the birds that the hatcheries called Araucana before the standard was written.

Back
Top Bottom