Question about Amprolium dosage

I was confused about how a chicken could get hepatitis too. The vet said that it is a general description of inflamation of the liver. He thinks she probably had "avian infectious hepatitis" although she could have picked up any infection that eventually affected her liver.

He was definite that whatever it was, it isn't transmissable to anything but poultry.

What are the signs of e.coli infection in chickens? Would I have treated it with terramycin?

Campylobacteriosis..commonally called Vibrionic Hepatitis and campylobacter Hepatitis..This is fairly common in chickens..This is what your vet is describing.....

I did some research and vibrionic hepatitis does seem to be what my vet was talking about. I read several articles about it, each of which mentioned a different drug as being most effective: furazolidine, tiamulin, streptomycin, tetracycline in feed. I've been giving my flock terramycin in their water, on the vet's advice, but he isn't an avian vet and I wonder if this is the right approach?

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

My question is ~ is it safe for humans to eat eggs from those hens who are being treated with Amprolium? If not, how long after treatment should the eggs be discarded before they are safe eat? Thanks for your help.

Thank you. Have you ever had to treat your chickens for coccidiosis (sp?)? If so, was the treatment successful? We have lost two young chicks because of the disease.

I have treated young chickens (a couple of months old) for what I suspected was coccidiosis and had no trouble. Amprolium cleared it up and they seemed to tolerate it well. If you can, it's worth taking a sample to a vet for analysis. I've assumed they had cocci several times when they didn't and a broad-spectrum antibiotic would have been better. Around here anyway lots of vets will do a fecal analysis even if they don't usually treat chickens or any birds.

I'm treating my chickens for cocci with Amprolium, a 9.6% solution packaged for cattle, so there's no dosage info for poultry.  The dosage information I found was 1.25 ml per liter, which works out to about 1/4 tsp per liter.

Is this right?  It seems like not much medicine for a lot of water.  Also, my chickens don't seem to drink anything like that much.  Should I increase the concentration?

Thanks for any feedback.

Back
Top Bottom