Question About Egg Laying Habits, and We Have Our First Egg!

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Good evening everyone! First time flock owner here, and yesterday we got our first egg from my 18wk old BA! She produced a tiny little thing (it was adorable) and only a couple of days after I popped the fake eggs in the nestboxes! Horay!

It took her all morning, and I new it was coming as my rooster had been showing the ladies how to make nests, and "standing watch" at the coop entrance while she was in and out of the box through the morning. Then I heard it, the egg song! She came out around 2pm proud and singing away, while my roo crowed proudly for her as well!

20180707_142549.jpg

I know Aussies are egg-cellent layers and can lay 5-6 days a week, but does it take time to get to that point? Or do they just get right in there and start? I ask that because there was no egg today.

Also, will she lay around the same time the next time she does lay?
TIA

Many times you get that first egg than nothing for a while. Other times they are regular right off the bat. Like all females starting to ovulate, it can take some time to become more regular and others are fine. Sometimes it can take a few months to get all the glitches worked out of the system. Congratulations. After 20+ years I'm still excited to collect eggs daily, and excited when one starts up.

Many times you get that first egg than nothing for a while. Other times they are regular right off the bat. Like all females starting to ovulate, it can take some time to become more regular and others are fine. Sometimes it can take a few months to get all the glitches worked out of the system. Congratulations. After 20+ years I'm still excited to collect eggs daily, and excited when one starts up.
I can tell already I will always be excited to go out and collect eggs.:celebrate

thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom