Question about keeping water thawed

Garryp4

Hatching
Dec 12, 2021
I used to carry a water pack when snowboarding but the water tube would freeze making the whole thing useless. After a bit of pondering on how to prevent the freezing, I started mixing one of the small 'airplane' size vodka's with the water. I really dislike the taste of vodka, but that ratio of water/vodka was not enough to taste or have any effect. However it did keep the water from freezing.

So, has anyone tried mixing just enough vodka in the water to keep it from freezing? Does anyone know if such a small amount of alcohol would have any negative effect on the chickens?

Drunken chickens, anyone?:p Just kidding. It's not a bad idea - we use alcohol to help control temps on different things at work. I have given flat beer to goats but never any alcohol to chickens.

I found a chart for how much alcohol is needed to drop the freezing point. Short version: too much to make this a reasonable choice at a temperature enough below freezing to matter.
https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/...ve-additive-to-keep-drinking-water-from-freez

Same for salt (including at least several salts besides sodium chloride), sugar, and glycerine.

That isn't the most solid looking of sites but it is easy to read and the info is correct according to several more solid looking sites.

Back
Top Bottom