Question about Male and Female Emus

Can I have 2 males and 1 female? I want to get Emus, but they're so expensive. I found this place http://www.kalayaemuestate.com/emu_chicks_breeders_for_sale.html that has eggs for a good price. If I ordered eggs and ended up with 2 males and 1 female, would I be okay or would I have to find a new home for a male. Same with females. If I had 2 females, would that be fine?
based on our experience, as long as you have plenty of space, you can have trios. We have one more male than females so we have 2 males and one female in one of our enclosures. Prior to breeding, one male will become the dominant male and in the process will chase the secondary male. Once the two emus pair up, they usually both chase the secondary male. As long as there is adequate space for the secondary male to run, he will be okay, but if they corner him, they can do damage. At least that is what happens here, emus all have different personalities and dispositions, but can change during mating and breeding season. The safe thing to do is to separate the males during that time...

Last edited:
based on our experience, as long as you have plenty of space, you can have trios. We have one more male than females so we have 2 males and one female in one of our enclosures. One male will become the dominant male and in the process will chase the secondary male. Once the two emus pair up, they usually both chase the secondary male. As long as there is adequate space for the secondary male to run, he will be okay, but if they corner him, they can do damage. At least that is what happens here, emus all have different personalities and dispositions, but can change during mating and breeding season. The safe thing to do is to separate the males during that time...
Yep got it. This will save me a lot of money.

I have been chatting regularly on an Animal site with another breeder, having myself bought 5 eggs year priviously...to get new blood.. 2 cracked ..took 3 day for 120 miles......hence contaminated all my 12 Emu eggs from my girls..NO HATCH of course.
It turned out none of his were fertile, This is the exact words he said...after telling him, eggs oosing white foam after 4 weeks...that I bought eggs from him...

Ok the white foam is bad eggs they get white foam inside before it turns green and yea brought 2 eggs of that bloke last season one was fertile the other was a bad egg he has 37 females running with 2 males witch isn't enough and this season the dominant male killed the younger male so now he has 1 male I went down last season to fetch some chicks but didn't bother in the end as half of the chicks had splade legs do I traveld 300 miles for nothing so I brought a few more eggs off him and 2 out of the 6 hatched but only survived 2 days they where eating and drinking fine but I knew there was something wrong from the start

Last edited:
I have been chatting regularly on an Animal site with another breeder, having myself bought 5 eggs year priviously...to get new blood.. 2 cracked ..took 3 day for 120 miles......hence contaminated all my 12 Emu eggs from my girls..NO HATCH of course.
It turned out none of his were fertile, This is the exact words he said...after telling him, eggs oosing white foam after 4 weeks...that I bought eggs from him...

Ok the white foam is bad eggs they get white foam inside before it turns green and yea brought 2 eggs of that bloke last season one was fertile the other was a bad egg he has 37 females running with 2 males witch isn't enough and this season the dominant male killed the younger male so now he has 1 male I went down last season to fetch some chicks but didn't bother in the end as half of the chicks had splade legs do I traveld 300 miles for nothing so I brought a few more eggs off him and 2 out of the 6 hatched but only survived 2 days they where eating and drinking fine but I knew there was something wrong from the start
we had a very high success rate with the hatching eggs that we sent through the mail last year, but you are always at the mercy of the US Postal System. We now ship out of a post office in the state of Maryland because we were told by a local post office employee that our closest Virginia regional mail distribution center has a reputation for tossing packages into bins when they are sorting!!!

With my experience my dominant emu are the female emu, however I have more male then female due to two of my female will not get along with any other emu, except for each other so I have 2 female who are in a separate pen with no male so naturally there eggs are not fertile , but I use those for carving and the other emu eggs are good , my male get along great they even share on sitting in the nest but like the others have said giving enough room there should be no problem, However sometimes there is a real aggressive emu. I do not keep them. They just create a problem with the rest , If I keep them I separate them as soon as I see them want to fight . hope this helps if you lived closer I would be happy to give you fertile eggs as soon as they start laying ,
smile.png

I purchased two emu eggs and hatched both of them in a standard hovabator incubator. The model is genesis 1588. They're four months old now and happy and healthy. :)

0.jpg

Umm guys where do you get Emu egg incubators? I don't think standard incubators would work.
Emu eggs are not that difficult to hatch, the problem with most incubators is the lack of enough height clearance to ensure that you get even warming and adequate air circulation. They do require a lower temperature and humidity, as well as more turning than most other eggs though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom