Question about Male and Female Emus

Umm guys where do you get Emu egg incubators? I don't think standard incubators would work.

In the old hatching thread they were using everything from Brinseas to modified LGs to Reptipros.. and anything else they could fit the eggs into.. I have pics of a modified LG in the emu hatch link in my sig..
Currently I prefer home made coolerbators.. plenty of room in there for multiple eggs, plus if you build your own you can stock up on replacement parts.. Mine were pretty cheap to make so they didn't cost an arm and a leg.. plus they are easy to clean and hold temps perfectly.... lol.. so if you can't find a commercial incubator you like.. always consider making one..

based on our experience, as long as you have plenty of space, you can have trios. We have one more male than females so we have 2 males and one female in one of our enclosures. Prior to breeding, one male will become the dominant male and in the process will chase the secondary male. Once the two emus pair up, they usually both chase the secondary male. As long as there is adequate space for the secondary male to run, he will be okay, but if they corner him, they can do damage. At least that is what happens here, emus all have different personalities and dispositions, but can change during mating and breeding season. The safe thing to do is to separate the males during that time...
oops!, an unfortunate update: the rescued male emu turned on the other male in its enclosure yesterday and did massive, possibly lethal damage to the other male. We have isolated the hurt bird into a pen of its own, but the next two weeks or so is going to be crucual to the bird's chances of survival. The enclosure looked like a murder scene in a horror movie, only unfourtuately it was for real...

So sorry about your poor Boy who got battered, hope he will recover soon, as long as no bones are broken........they can be quite rough....no matter how much space they have, they will always race them and want them out of way, if they are that way minded...just nurture him on his own, with lots of treats, he will love this. Good luck !

Last edited:
ES.. how's he doing today? Any improvement?

hugs.gif
fl.gif

Thanks for everybody's best wishes, he is still hanging in there but has gaping wounds that are big enough to stick your fist inside, some spots has the skin just peeled back from the body. Realistically, we probably should of had it put down but I just didn't have the heart. The bird was in a smallish size enclosure that measured approximately 120' x 50'. It must have been like a prehistoric raptor scene, the way they used their claws to rip open the flesh...

Thanks for everybody's best wishes, he is still hanging in there but has gaping wounds that are big enough to stick your fist inside, some spots has the skin just peeled back from the body. Realistically, we probably should of had it put down but I just didn't have the heart. The bird was in a smallish size enclosure that measured approximately 120' x 50'. It must have been like a prehistoric raptor scene, the way they used their claws to rip open the flesh...

That sounds like Paco's wounds from where the neighbor's dogs attacked him.. they tore out chunks of flesh and ripped him up pretty well.. I was covered in blood just carrying him back to the small pen to isolate him..

He took about a week or so before he started eating.. in just over a month the wounds were scabbed over and starting to scar.. I honestly didn't think he was going to survive the first night..he had lost so much blood and tissue.. but once he started recovering it was pretty fast (all things considered)

so I will keep your boy in my thoughts.. Hopefully he's as strong and as stubborn as my Paco..
hugs.gif

That sounds like Paco's wounds from where the neighbor's dogs attacked him.. they tore out chunks of flesh and ripped him up pretty well.. I was covered in blood just carrying him back to the small pen to isolate him..

He took about a week or so before he started eating.. in just over a month the wounds were scabbed over and starting to scar.. I honestly didn't think he was going to survive the first night..he had lost so much blood and tissue.. but once he started recovering it was pretty fast (all things considered)

so I will keep your boy in my thoughts.. Hopefully he's as strong and as stubborn as my Paco..
hugs.gif
thanks yinepu!

Sounds pretty bad but hopefully he'll be allright

Have had some here end up with some pretty nasty war wounds but recovered surprisingly well , those that SURVIVED it without a broken leg or neck, that is.
Curious since those wounds are so deep , do you have him on some antibiotics ? Also wondering if you're trying to get some electrolytes in him ?

I find a good healing spray for wounds that are not too terribly deep ( you may want to check with a vet on the really deep ones) is to use the spray granulex then some silver spray on those.
Those sprays " may " be allright for even the deeper ones but not sure.
Good luck , hope it pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom