Question about my 2 goats please!

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
I have 2 goats, 1 is female and the other is male. I got them when they were around 3 months old. I have had the boy neutered after 2 different surgeries. But they are very happy and healthy, but here lately I have noticed them eating plastic on the pine shavings bags I have for the chicken coops.

Is this a bad thing or will this bother them? Apparently they haven't just started so I am guessing this won't bother them.

Thanks.

Not ok at all. Too much plastic can cause a blockage.

You need to keep stuff that you don't want your goats to eat away from them because they will try to eat anything at least once.

I raise goats and much to the surprise of people who haven't been around goats they are rather picky eaters. They are terrific weed eaters being browsers rather than grazers. But plastic eating can cause intestinal blockage that may have to be surgically removed or cause death. I would say it more something that was wrapped in the plastic that has attracted them. For sure remove it from your pen, Goats require a varied diet to remain healthy, weeds lawn trimmings and hay are good, rose clippings along with berry canes are great too. Minerals have to be provided free choice, you can ask your local extention office if you are in a selenium defecient area, goats will sometimes eat off things when craving mineral. If your selenium levels are good get a mixed mineral block from your local feed store the goats will go to it when needed, also a bloat block should be provided if the goats are on green pasture. A goat can die of bloat in a few hours. You can do something as simple as keeping a dish of baking soda available, they will use it like an antacid and its cheap. Grain should only be used as a treat because goats will eat themselves to death on it given the chance. Good luck with your goat friend they make terrific pets as well as pack animals. I raise south african boers and nubians I sell mainly to breeders, I milk my nubians and make everything from cheese to soap. There is a lot of goat breeders with web sites that contain information on how to maintain a caprine. Also pine can be toxic to goats if they eat enough of it, it contains turpintine. Wood they enjoy is apple, we let them have the suckers that grow around the bottom of our trees and they love them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom