Question for Silver Appleyard Breeders

EggsnQuackers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
NW Minnesota
I've been breeding Silver Appleyards for a couple of years now. This year we've got one with a red head. They hatched June 14. I believe it's a female judging by voice. Anyone see this before?

Hi sorry to jump in but I see you have been breeding this breed for a available few years and I was wondering if I have a silver appleyard baby. I was told he/she is an aylesbury but judging by google she looks like a silver apple duckling.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't see this. I'm sure you've already figured out what you've got by now. The markings on those ducklings is lighter than what we normally see. They are not aylesburys though. Those should be all yellow. What did you end up with?

Egggandquackers we have Silver Appleyards as well. We don't have any with red heads, but we have a light brown hen. Here is a pic. Your girl looks adorable!

Hi EggsnQuackers, we ended up with welsh harlequin and khiaki cambell or cayuga. Still not 100% sure myself. Both turned out to be Drakes lol. Sadly custard was killed today so very sad atm. We did adopt 2 indian runners a while back (duck n drake) so im hopeing chocolate (his best friend) co

Egggandquackers we have Silver Appleyards as well. We don't have any with red heads, but we have a light brown hen. Here is a pic. Your girl looks adorable!
I actually was able to get ahold of the Holderread farm. They said it was a variation in the genetics that caused it and depending on breeding goals it wasn't necessarily a "bad" trait. I ended up with a better female from the hatch so I kept that one and gave the red head to a neighbor. I'll be able to keep an eye on her and see how she turns out, which is nice.

Hi EggsnQuackers, we ended up with welsh harlequin and khiaki cambell or cayuga. Still not 100% sure myself. Both turned out to be Drakes lol. Sadly custard was killed today so very sad atm. We did adopt 2 indian runners a while back (duck n drake) so im hopeing chocolate (his best friend) co
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Cayugas are pure black...Khakis are not. I also see a lot of Swedish ducks being sold as Cayugas. A neighbor got scammed last spring. Bought a whole flock of what he was told were Cayugas and ended up with Swedish.
I hope your runners work out for you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom