Silver Appleyard questions

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Predators are always something to worry about, even with a strong coop. I am not in the position to use a rifle as I live in the suburbs, or have a livestock guardian, therefore I need to run out to the coop with a shovel to try to stop the predator if they do somehow figure out a way to get in it. Anything that would slow that predator down would help. Ideally the drake is protective and could buy that extra minute or two without any harm to it. Thanks for you help, and most of all thanks for your self righteousness.
Okay, no idea where the hostility is coming from. I’ve already told you a drake isn’t going to be able to do anything - this is from other people’s opinions, stories, and from my own personal experience. There is no, “ideally the drake is protective and could buy that extra minute or two.” A fox is going to snatch him up like any other duck and take off. The “minute or two” it’d take for you to get outside is far too long.

The first 3 ducks I lost were all HENS, despite there being multiple drakes there to “defend.” One of the hens even had a drake that was her dedicated partner of 4 years - the drake did nothing.

If me telling you a FACT is ‘self-righteous,’ then I’ll be self-righteous any day.

I have two little Call Drakes and one bigger drake with my flock of 12 Hens. If something were to happen, I imagine my Drakes would be the first ones to run. They are not like Roosters at all. My biggest Drake bothers my Mule Duck that is twice his size but afraid of him. She is my Sweetest and friendliest duck and my Khaki Ducks are also friendly. They are all different. Out of my three Runner Hens only one will eat from my hand, my Rouen hens, Khaki hens, Mule, and Muscovy will eat the lettuce out of my hand. My little two Call Drakes, Mallards and other Drake will not. Almost all of them were raised from three day olds in my living room, my Mule was hatched out by myself. Good luck with your decision.

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Predators are always something to worry about, even with a strong coop. I am not in the position to use a rifle as I live in the suburbs, or have a livestock guardian, therefore I need to run out to the coop with a shovel to try to stop the predator if they do somehow figure out a way to get in it. Anything that would slow that predator down would help. Ideally the drake is protective and could buy that extra minute or two without any harm to it. Thanks for you help, and most of all thanks for your self righteousness.
I recommend using a broom instead of a shovel the shovel is way to heavy on one side and not well balanced using a broom you could break its legs with the handle and finish it off with the shovel

Back
Top Bottom