Question re: Turning (Brinsea mini advance)

RottenFlower

In the Brooder
5 Years
Hi, all.

I just set 7 crested cream legbar eggs at about 8:30pm EST last night.

I have my incubator set for basically auto everything, as this is my first time attempting to hatch eggs.

I do have a question, though: How often should I set my incubator to turn my eggs? I have no idea. :(

TYIA.

We have automatic turners on our incubators.. they turn every 2 hours. If you don't have an automatic turner they have to be turned at least twice a day.

The egg turner I have there is no setting, it just turns them in 2 hour intervals. No disrespect to previous poster but when hand turning the recommendation is at least 3 times a day the more the better, but always an odd number before stopping at night for bed. This prevents the eggs from always being left on the same side night after night so they aren't spending the longest amount of rest on the same side.

I agree It is better for the eggs to be turned more often and our turner doesn't have settings either, just turns every 2 hrs too. When we started we had a Styrofoam Hubavator and only turned eggs twice a day or every 12 hrs we had good hatches. We hatched chickens, ducks, quail, pheasants, and turkeys. If you are using a Styrofoam incubator the more often you take off the lid the more humidity you loose this can cause problems when the eggs get ready to hatch.

The default turning interval for this model is 45 minutes. For shipped eggs, I generally lengthen to 1-1.5 hrs if I have concerns about detached air cells. Otherwise I leave it at the default. It's doing all the work for you, so let it!

Make sure that you are using the turning plate the right way - the high ridges go up. If your eggs aren't turning as much as you think they should, then turn the plate over. They should be touching the bottom of the incubator through the holes in the plate.

Make sure to use the chart in the manual to determine the angle that they are turning - the larger the egg, the higher the angle. 8 is average for most med/large eggs. If you have a mixed hatch, go with the angle for the largest egg.

Back
Top Bottom