Question...shrimp shells

I find, with chickens now, I put very few things into my compost bin other than the used chicken coop bedding - which is just pine shavings and chicken poop. The flock gets most everything else. Citrus peels, avocado skins & seeds, a few other things occasionally make it into the compost bin.

Ihave this old silage pit on our farm. I do put all manure from the animals(horses, goat,chickens, etc.)
We use it on the fields. I have started composting before, but I really need to build a real structure for it.
I have loads of veggie leftovers from canning and cooking.I do have a pile where I dump anything the animals can't eat.

I just enjoy composting...recycling things and making something valuable out of scraps and leftovers. We have nothing here..it is not even a farm. It is merely 1 rural acre, with a home and buildings on it. The soil is sand, clay, and some places built up leaf mold. It needs organics badly..and I can't afford to buy it. We do have plenty of leaves from the trees around the property..and of course the grass clippings when I mow. But it has even been too hat to bag it lately. Now we have chicken poos for the yard..and the winter litter mix can go into the winter compost bins.
I feed anything to the chicks I think they might like, or benefit from. If they don't like it, it goes to the compost. Or, if they can't eat it. It'll feed us all next year at least.
The chickens might get the shrimp shells tomorrow. DH isn't home from work yet, so we will be eating late.

We do have one of those huge leaf vacs we use in fall because of all the oaks on the farm.
I use the chopped leaf mulch to insulate my plants for winter.

Quote:
You would be quite proud of us, on this farm we recycle materials all the time.
My coop is recycled down to the lumber and tin roof!LOL
The nest boxes use to be cabinets at the fire dept.

Quote:
You would be quite proud of us, on this farm we recycle materials all the time.
My coop is recycled down to the lumber and tin roof!LOL
The nest boxes use to be cabinets at the fire dept.

I love recycling!! DH made me a potting bench, and the chicken tractors out of lumber that was made into crates, and shipped from France with copper in them to his job. The crates just goto the dump. This time, they went to our garage.

Update on shrimp shells!!! They loved 'em!!
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
They were all talking and being all cluttery and excited. It was soo cute...I dumped a small pile in their tractor. Of course....shrimp look like bugs..and are related to them. And NO, they haven't turned pink...yet
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom