question

Loveshisbirds

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Hey everyone i have a question right now i have about 80 chickens all hens and i have so many more eggs then i could ever use my self does anyone know of anywhere in Vermont or Ny or even someone i can ship that will buy eggs? please let me know thanks!

We have local farmers markets where we will be selling off our extra eggs, though we wont have nearly as many as you must have!
big_smile.png
Also, if you get your flock on an organic feed and let them free range, you can have them certified as Oraganic and then sell the eggs at grocery stores or other places that sell Organic produce and other products. Also, try hanging flyers at your local grocery stores, or even hang some up, or take out an ad in the local paper. You'll soon have MANY customers!

If you cant sell them give them to your local food pantry. I end up given 15 to 20 dozen to ours every couple weeks.

i want to thank you for your advice my hens all eat organic feed and are all also free range i have a barn they go into but only at night and they choose to go in there themselves i most times collect at least 3 dozen eggs everyday and im sure there are countless i cant find lol.

Where are you located? I'm in southern Washington County (NY). I know of several farmers markets in my county and neighboring Saratoga and Bennington counties. You can also try small local farm stands, food co-ops and general stores.

I'm Located in Southern Vermont in Pownal Across the border from Ny i have right now 25 dozen at least and i havent even collected eggs in 2 days im over run and im thinking there going to go bad i have a while refrigerated full.

maybe I'm showing my ignorance in this situation, but don't you have to have a license to sell eggs? what about the liability should someone become sick? Years ago when lots of people had backyard/farmyard chickens, the thought of suing someone because of eating a food that made them ill never occurred to anyone, now I think I'd be afraid to sell them. I give plenty away though when we have them.

Quote:
In Ohio, you can sell eggs on your property and put up a sign at the road. But if you want to sell eggs off your property, you have to be inspected. This inspection is free.

Now organic certification is another matter altogether. Organic eggs mean that you are feeding them certified organic feed. You CAN call them organic eggs if you are doing this, and still not be certified, but you must clarify that they're not certified organic.

In order to sell at a farmer's market, however, you must pay to get a separate permit, which does cost money.

Also, Ohio has specific egg carton label regulations.

So I would suggest checking with your local county extension agent to find out what you need to do.

You know, you can freeze eggs. Separate the yolks and whites, stir them up a bit and freeze in ice cube trays. I put one yolk or one egg white in each section and use them in cooking and baking.

You can bake and donate the baked goods to local churches and schools for fund raising. Pound cake uses lots of eggs and it can be frozen! I usually make 2 or 3 at a time and freeze them. Then when we need it, it's ready for a bake sale. (I put my favorite recipe on the recipe forum.)

Wes' idea of donating to a local food bank is an excellent one. You can also donate to local shelters or churches that feed the hungry.

Give each of your neighbors a free dozen to get them as paying customers.

Good luck!
regards,
keljonma

Last edited:
Honestly, I have 7 hens. We don't eat eggs alot. But I'm kind of hoping we get more eggs than we need. That way I can pass them on to neighbors, family, or maybe some kind of harvest for hunger thing. Here's to hoping.....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom