Questions about having parrots and getting chickens

Well, I can see this is a very old thread, but found it EXTREMELY helpful! I have a Crimson Bellied Conure who turned 1 year old on July 4th and am expecting 16 baby chicks any second now! I have no idea why I didn't think of disease sharing before now, but I am so glad I found this thread as it has laid at least ONE of my worries to rest!

This forum is FABULOUS! I never dreamed I'd find an answer to this question, but searched anyway and, lo and behold: awesome information! Thanks to everyone on here!!!
love.gif

Thank you for this thread. I know that diseases can be spread and with chickens being outside with wild birds, they are more likely to get diseases from the wild birds, which would put the parrots at risk, as well.

Cleanliness, good quarantine practices and making sure of when and how you handle the birds and being completely clean.

My question is, what if I have a chicken that needs to be inside, like a silkie to survive the winter? After quarantine would it be safe for the parrots to have the chicken inside with them.

Are there injections or anything to give chickens, or that they need?

This is my first time visiting the BackYardChicken forum and my concerns about our African Grey and newly arrived chicks have been spoken about. Our chicks are vaccinated, our parrot is healthy, everyone washes their hands both before and after handling either. I feel confident that we are safe. Thanks for all the reassurance and knowledge that is shared here.

I see this thread is quite old but thought I would post anyhow. I have around 40-50 chickens, though I plan to down size significantly. Our family has been researching parrots for quite some time since our 9 yr old DD has been obsessed with parrots for YEARS. We are possibly looking into a White Bellied Caique.

It didn't even dawn on me until last night that maybe chickens and parrots could possibly transfer disease to each other and now that has me nervous, mostly for the parrot. I know chickens being outside come into contact with many wild birds so the potential of disease is much greater but I would feel terrible if our indoor parrot one day maybe got something as well.

Now Im not sure if getting a parrot would be a wise choice, though my DD will just be crushed...

Last edited:
Your concerns would logically be legitimate. We have a Yellow Nape Parrot (Michael) that my wife has had for around 25 years. We roll his large cage out on the porch almost every day. Some of our chickens come and hang out with him. He has been in regular contact with the chickens for over 2 years and we have had no problems. That is just my experience so far. I will keep an eye on this thread. Perhaps we should be more cautious with Micheal. Thank you for posting your concerns.

I've been living with my housemate Max the Big Pink Chicken for 23 years now (he's 28 almost 29), and had chickens all that time. Max doesn't go outside and no chickens go into his room, but the most obvious potential disease vector would be me since I am in contact with all of the birds here every day. Also have turkeys, ducks, geese, canaries, several kinds finches, couple hundred pigeons, and Brazilian red-crested cardinals. Nobody has every gotten sick with a chicken disease. I am, though, scrupulous about caring for any sick birds last, after healthy ones have been fed, watered etc., and handwashing. Also, I have a pigeon with a deformed beak who has to be supplemented with hand feeding every day; he can feed himself somewhat but will slowly lose condition without some help. So every day I'm also poking a finger down that bird's throat and he's still healthy after 5 years of this. If you want a companion bird, I wouldn't be afraid to get one because you have poultry. Best Wishes!

Hi, I have been carefully reading all these posts, and now I'm a little worried. I have five 3-month-old chicks that I keep in my back yard. I also have a Senegal parrot. Sometimes after I get home from work, I need to spend time with my parrot, as well as let the chickens out of their pen for a little free supervised time in the yard. So to accommodate both needs, I will take my parrot out in his cage and hang out with the chickens. And being the curious creatures that they are, the chickens jump up to the cage and check put the parrot. Sometimes they are within inches of the parrot. Today, one of the chickens jumped on top of his cage. I need your advice if I should stop doing this. My vet said chickens and parrots can't transfer diseases to each other, but I'm not sure I believe him. Is this dangerous for my Parrot? Should I stop? I look forward to getting some advice on this as I love my parrot and my chickens so very much! Thank you, Lisa

I'm thinking of getting a few budgies and after awhile of getting to know them let them fly around in my 50 by 20 ft chicken run that has a roof. Would this be ok considering the fact chickens will be on the ground and maybe some chicken feed too? I also have a 150 by 60 ft tarp building/riding arena that has exposed rafters, would that be ok? Or is there a chance that it will never come down? Every time I water the sand huge spider webs hang down, could a budgie get stuck in those to?

Last edited:
Well it's as simple as, " Is it cross contagious between the species. I don't know about all bird diseases, but Marecks does NOT affect parrots. Educate, do not panick.

Back
Top Bottom