Questions as I bring home a found peacock

HudokFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Minnesota
I've been doing quite a bit of research here before we bring home a peacock tomorrow. I still have some questions that I hope someone can guide me through!

1 - I bed my horses and chickens in straw. I assume I can do this with the peacock as well?

2 - I plan on quarantining him for at least 4 weeks. During this time, I plan on doing some preventative treatments, especially for coccidiosis. I know absolutely nothing about this bird or his history so I want to make sure we take care of any existing problems. Is there anything else I should also treat him for? Something for worms, maybe, and / or blackhead?

3 - During his quarantine, we plan on visiting him often to acclimatize him to us. Maybe feed him treats? I want to butter him up before I start forcing medicine down his yap. All I really do know about his history is that he either left the place he was born or was dumped somewhere near our friends' place. He is friendly with them and will come right up to them for treats.

4 - I plan on putting him in our old chicken "coop". It is actually a foaling stall where my mare had her baby years and years ago before I married into the farm. I would guess it is 12 x 14 or 14 x 14, something like that. I don't have a good idea of how big he will be (large chicken-sized from what I can see on Youtube?). I assume this is big enough? He doesn't have a train of feathers, so space may be less of an issue?

5 - Feed. Some of what I read says gamebird feed. Some says meat bird feed. Some people mix dog/cat/kitten food in. I assume I feed him as an adult even though he has no train so is likely young (see my previous post for photo)? Or should I get a better assessment of his age before deciding what to feed him?

I have looked at quite a few of the articles here. What a wealth of information! Thank you all!!

I would start him on Corid water for the cocci, give him an Ivermectin pour on for lice and mites, and take a stool sample to the vet to determine what if any worms he might have then treat for them as needed. I would not use straw for bedding as it will harbor lice and mites, hay or wood shavings is best.

He will be a different bird in confinement than when he is free ranging and he will probably need to be housed for two or three months before turning out or you run the risk that he will wonder off looking for another peafowl to hang with. Consider getting a hen to keep penned so he will not leave the property. Good ventilation is a must, high flat perches will protect his feet in the cold weather.

Your bird is two or less years old, if he is two you will want to give him some special care in his food to help him color in the train this winter. There are many threads here on nutrition that will help with that.

Treats; there are a lot of choices but all birds love scrambled eggs, greens and fish work well too. He will have preferences and you will figure them out eventually.

hide.gif

.... 6 - I plan to buy 2 females ... one white and one blue to keep him company in the quarantine and later to make a small group!
hide.gif

... a pied peahen is also good !
duc.gif

I like the way you think, Dany12!!

The folks who have him now say he seems lonely and wants to hang with them all the time. I feel bad keeping him quarantined all alone, even though I know it is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom