Questions Re: (Possible) Summer Molting - Signs and Support

Not sure what the head shaking could indicate. So that could be something concerning, or it might not.

The loose watery poop could definitely be a result of increased water or wet food/treat intake due to summer heat. And molting may cause birds to want to sleep away from others, so as to minimize being touched by other birds.
Yeah, the shaking has made me nervous, but when I went outside this afternoon for a while, I didn't notice it anymore. I actually ended up posting this on the Emergencies forum and it was suggested that she may be struggling with itchiness/discomfort on her head and neck and the shaking is her attempt to relieve it. I'm hoping that's it.

Interesting point about sleeping away from others. I didn't think of that, but it could be that that's why she was spending time in there. Why she chose to make a mess of it... I don't know; that's chickens for you. I haven't seen any more unusual poop, so I'm hoping it was a one-off.

I can't wait for the molting to be done and for Helga to get her groove back! 🙂

Molting birds look terrible, like they are dying terrible. Feathers hanging here, there, crabby birds.

Some molt hard, and some molt slow. Once I thought I had a predator, there were feathers ALL over the coop, like a pillow fight, where the pillow had broken open. I think she had 3 feathers left on her body. She molted hard, but in a week was already growing them back.

In a couple of weeks, they get all new feathers, and they look like girls in their Sunday best dress. You just have to get through it.

MRs K

Yes, it really is amazing how a normal, necessary process can leave them looking so haggard! Mine is probably in a "soft molt," as I am not quite in pillow fight territory... yet! I was just saying to my husband, I'd love for them to all molt at the same time and get it over with. The poor dear is the odd one out at the moment!

I look forward to seeing her back to looking her best!

When was the last time you dewormed her?
I haven't ever wormed any of them (they're about 14 months old and I've owned them for about 9 months). I've had an occasional weird, runny poop here and there, but it has always been a fleeting thing and otherwise they've been fine, so I never felt like I had to treat for worms. I tend to lean towards the side of not deworming as a preventive thing, though I know others do

I did consider that a possibility with the hen in question and her recent symptoms, but I wasn't sure whether to deworm and with what. It seems like her issues have a lot to do with molting. There could be something else at hand, but being that we're going away soon, I'll probably hold off on testing for worms as long as her symptoms improve, or at least don't worsen, in the next few days.

Have you observed any undigested grain in their poo? It's one of the first signs of worms.
How is she eating? Full crop at night and empty in the morning?

I just don't want you to come back to a worst case scenario 😢

Have you observed any undigested grain in their poo? It's one of the first signs of worms.
How is she eating? Full crop at night and empty in the morning?

I just don't want you to come back to a worst case scenario 😢
Her one weird poop from today looked slightly undigested? Maybe? It's hard to say, since it was mixed in with the straw in her nesting box. Lovely, I know. Lately, they have only eaten pellets and occasional Grubblies, so no actual grain (such as scratch, for example). I don't see her eating a ton, but I do catch her at their food and water station here and there.

I admit, I did not check her crop this evening like I planned. Her head-shaking had stopped and she seemed better so I thought I'd just leave her be. She's cranky enough as it is. When I have some time tomorrow and the kids aren't running around causing a ruckus and adding to her stress, I'll give her a look.

UPDATE:

Helga is still shaking her head a bit, but is walking around, drinking (haven't caught her eating today but I've been out most of the day so it's possible she has been), and acting her usual sullen, "I'm-molting-leave-me-alone" self. Still dropping lots of feathers of course.

Just now, 1:45 EST, I checked her crop. It felt pretty squishy. I haven't owned chickens long enough to know with 100% certainty what a normal crop feels like, but this did seem noticeably soft, like a water balloon. I checked one of my seemingly healthy girls to get a comparison and it was not squishy. I'd say it felt med-firm: not hard or lumpy, but not squishy. It felt like what I usually feel when I pick them up.

So... In addition to her obvious molting, and the weird poop I saw yesterday, am I now dealing with sour crop? I did not try to massage it or do anything like that. What can I do in the next 3 or 4 days to help her? Again, I'll be out of state and though my dad is kind enough to do basic chicken-sitting while we're away (collecting eggs, refilling water and feed, etc), I don't feel comfortable making him administer chicken first aid while we're gone. Among the remedies I've come across for sour crop are Apple Cider Vinegar and Monistat. Thoughts?

Can't thank you all enough for your help thus far. I hope she gets well soon! ❤️

I don't think just the crop being squishy = sour crop. She might be drinking a lot of water and that would account for it being less firm. If she's still somewhat active and otherwise behaving normally (but crankily), I'd still chalk it up to not feeling well due to heavy molting.

Back
Top Bottom