Questions Re: (Possible) Summer Molting - Signs and Support

I don't think just the crop being squishy = sour crop. She might be drinking a lot of water and that would account for it being less firm. If she's still somewhat active and otherwise behaving normally (but crankily), I'd still chalk it up to not feeling well due to heavy molting.
Yes, I am sure--granted, I can't measure it--that she's drinking more than usual, in large part because of the heat. She is still acting the same today and perhaps even a bit better? For example: I gave them a separate 2qt waterer with a smashed clove of garlic in it this afternoon and they all--including her--went crazy for it. So, I'm encouraged by the fact that she still seems "with it" and interested in new, tasty things. :)

I did not notice any sour smell, but also wasn't looking for it and putting my nose right up to her beak. I also didn't see any liquid around her beak. I suppose my thinking it was sour crop was because it was so uncharacteristically squishy. I hadn't known that crops could be momentarily squishy without there being a problem.

Your words are encouraging and I do hope they prove to be the case here. Do you think there's anything I should do--apart from the simple measure of garlic water--that might give her a nice overall health boost before I leave on Sunday? I figured the garlic water in moderation wouldn't hurt and could maybe help.

Do you think there's anything I should do--apart from the simple measure of garlic water--that might give her a nice overall health boost before I leave on Sunday? I figured the garlic water in moderation wouldn't hurt and could maybe help.
I don't buy into the garlic hype myself so can't really advise on pros (or cons) about it. If it's very hot and remaining that way, electrolytes in the water once a week can help them with heat stress a little. I make my own mix at home and give it to the dogs (and even us humans) as well, if it's hot enough to warrant it.

Unfortunately with molters (assuming that's her main issue right now) nothing makes them feel better until they regrow their feathers. So I don't do anything specifically for them, other than being as hands off as possible if they're showing signs of discomfort (some aren't as touchy while molting, others will flee as soon as they see you).

I don't buy into the garlic hype myself so can't really advise on pros (or cons) about it. If it's very hot and remaining that way, electrolytes in the water once a week can help them with heat stress a little. I make my own mix at home and give it to the dogs (and even us humans) as well, if it's hot enough to warrant it.

Unfortunately with molters (assuming that's her main issue right now) nothing makes them feel better until they regrow their feathers. So I don't do anything specifically for them, other than being as hands off as possible if they're showing signs of discomfort (some aren't as touchy while molting, others will flee as soon as they see you).
Thanks! I do have some electrolyte powder that I've been adding to the water once or twice a week. In a few days, I'll do so again. She's still got a bit of a squishy crop, but it's evening and she's been enjoying her garlic water, whether it's doing anything or not. Hey, maybe it just tastes good if nothing else. 🤷‍♀️ 🙂

She just headed up to her roost (presumably for the night) and let out straight water all over the roosting bar; not even a hint of poop. Super gross, but I feel horrible for her. 🤢😩 There was nothing to really take a picture of; it was that clear.

Her one weird poop from today looked slightly undigested? Maybe? It's hard to say, since it was mixed in with the straw in her nesting box. Lovely, I know. Lately, they have only eaten pellets and occasional Grubblies, so no actual grain (such as scratch, for example). I don't see her eating a ton, but I do catch her at their food and water station here and there.

I admit, I did not check her crop this evening like I planned. Her head-shaking had stopped and she seemed better so I thought I'd just leave her be. She's cranky enough as it is. When I have some time tomorrow and the kids aren't running around causing a ruckus and adding to her stress, I'll give her a look.
I read today on ByC that combs could look paler during molting time? Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom