Quick Question: Sex linked chickens that lay white eggs?

Well the california gray is a breed, not a sex link, but lays white eggs. supposedly you can sex the chicks by color, with the males being lighter in color. Or, buying from the stores, often other customers are allowed to pick out all the females, leaving you stuck with the remaining 10%, which are the males due to the 90% accuracy of vent sexing by hatcheries. So, if you can buy from the hatchery directly you should have better luck buying pullets.You could always sell any extras that you needed to buy to make hatchery minimums.

Well the california gray is a breed, not a sex link, but lays white eggs. supposedly you can sex the chicks by color, with the males being lighter in color. Or, buying from the stores, often other customers are allowed to pick out all the females, leaving you stuck with the remaining 10%, which are the males due to the 90% accuracy of vent sexing by hatcheries. So, if you can buy from the hatchery directly you should have better luck buying pullets.You could always sell any extras that you needed to buy to make hatchery minimums.
Good idea about selling extras!!!

Good idea about selling extras!!!
I would second selling extras. I have seen a lot of people here who got chicks from a store and ended up with males. I think the stores are not as reliable as getting them straight from the Hatchery. I ordered a box of 25 from Ideal hatchery in TX. I ordered the ones I wanted, and 10 extra sex-links to make up the 25 to fill a box. All were female, they went to people I know and I would have heard if there were any males! If you order the pullets you want, and do not have enough to fill the box, they will fill it up with extra males, for the warmth -- not too great if you do not want males! :(
I have Barred Hollands, they are a nice white egg layer. They are easy to sex at ~3-4 weeks, some can sex the barred birds at hatch, not me.
They are not as aggressive as my Brown Leghorns. The eggs are just as white but not as large, at least not yet. Mine have been laying since just before Christmas, Brown Leghorns are 2 weeks older and laid about a month sooner. The Cal Whites, or Ideal 236, are egg-laying machines, but might be a little aggressive for some people's backyard flocks. They are production first, personality last in the hatchery's list of priorities!
The breeder I got these from, @rjohns39 does not sex them, though. These are great flock members, maybe you can find some near you.

Attachments

• BarredHolland_hen.jpg
    BarredHolland_hen.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 3
  • BarredHolland_cockerel.jpg
    BarredHolland_cockerel.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I am about to try out my first sex-linked white eggs. My rooster is Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben and hens are Silver Spangled Hamburgs.
elvis.jpg

hamburg hen.jpg

I only have one gold Spitz girl and she lays an egg every 2-3 days, but it's bigger and noticeably more shiny-beautiful than my Hamburg eggs.
Spitz_hen.JPG

The Hamburgs have been slower to mature and lower on the pecking order, but more consistent layers. In my research and other genetics experiments, I've found that egg size & production of hybrids is as good or better than the best breed of the cross. My Spitz-Dominique crosses are complete egg-laying superstars.

So, I'm expecting to find that the Spitz-Hamburg cross produces instantly sexable chicks (yellow boys & brown girls) and the girls grow up to be as confident as a Spitz with the larger size of Spitz eggs and consistency of production of the Hamburgs. Let's see what actually happens. I should have at least 2 more Spitz-Legbar and Spitz-OliveEgger crosses at point of lay by May 2021, and we'll see what happens with the Spitz-Hamburg crosses by September/October 2021.

I will start new threads for the Spitz-Hamburg chicks when they arrive. In the meantime, here are the other Spitz crosses that should lay by April/May 2021
is-there-such-a-thing-as-brown-sex-link-using-barring-gene

And here is my general thread for posting random interesting things with my flock: chicken-math-genetics-experiments-in-southeast-missouri

I am about to try out my first sex-linked white eggs. My rooster is Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben and hens are Silver Spangled Hamburgs.
View attachment 2555246
View attachment 2555245

I only have one gold Spitz girl and she lays an egg every 2-3 days, but it's bigger and noticeably more shiny-beautiful than my Hamburg eggs.
View attachment 2555262
The Hamburgs have been slower to mature and lower on the pecking order, but more consistent layers. In my research and other genetics experiments, I've found that egg size & production of hybrids is as good or better than the best breed of the cross. My Spitz-Dominique crosses are complete egg-laying superstars.

So, I'm expecting to find that the Spitz-Hamburg cross produces instantly sexable chicks (yellow boys & brown girls) and the girls grow up to be as confident as a Spitz with the larger size of Spitz eggs and consistency of production of the Hamburgs. Let's see what actually happens. I should have at least 2 more Spitz-Legbar and Spitz-OliveEgger crosses at point of lay by May 2021, and we'll see what happens with the Spitz-Hamburg crosses by September/October 2021.

I will start new threads for the Spitz-Hamburg chicks when they arrive. In the meantime, here are the other Spitz crosses that should lay by April/May 2021

And here is my general thread for posting random interesting things with my flock: chicken-math-genetics-experiments-in-southeast-missouri
They certainly are beautiful!

View attachment 2555246
View attachment 2555245

View attachment 2555262

How beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom