Is there such a thing as Brown Sex Link? (using Barring gene)

Here is one of the Spitz-Legbar chicks. She inherited the biggest crest overall (so far). I think she may have gotten a double dose of crest, and her sister has a respectable size crest as well, so nothing so far points to a heterozygous Legbar dam. She's the only one with this dark brown coloring, with very little pattern and no gold feathers.

IMG_E8101.JPG

They're handling the deep freeze like champs. Today the temp started off at 1 F and never left the single digits. When they're all puffed up to stay warm, they look so big!
IMG_8627.JPG

IMG_E8625.JPG IMG_E8622.JPG

I think the one on the right has figured out how to puff up her hairdo, too!

So, these 2 genetics experiments were the reason I put up a wee fence in my incubator. I wasn't sure if there would be enough of a difference in the phenotype of my Spitz x Legbar (hatched from blue eggs) vs. Spitz x Olive Egger (hatched from Olive eggs) to be able to tell the chicks apart. I've been careful to band the legs of the chicks, as they grew, so I wouldn't get them mixed up. It's only been in the past week or so, that they've developed features that allow me to tell them apart. Just for fun, let me know if you can tell which of the following girls hatched from a blue vs. olive green egg @NatJ @Amer
Blue_Brownie_3.5months.JPG

Pink_Scarlett_3.5months.JPG

Just for fun, let me know if you can tell which of the following girls hatched from a blue vs. olive green egg @NatJ @Amer
So the blue egg was from a Cream Legbar.
I went back and checked the first post--the Olive Egger was a Legbar-Welsummer cross, right?

I can see that the two pullets do not match each other, but I'm failing to spot any traits that MUST be from one mother or the other.

I'm going to guess the first pullet has the Legbar/Welsummer mother, and the second has the pure Legbar mother. There's something about the color and pattern of the first one that reminds me of Welsummer instead of Legbar, and I think I'm seeing more Welsummer shape in her body, too. But I might just be imagining things ;)

So the blue egg was from a Cream Legbar.
I went back and checked the first post--the Olive Egger was a Legbar-Welsummer cross, right?

I can see that the two pullets do not match each other, but I'm failing to spot any traits that MUST be from one mother or the other.

I'm going to guess the first pullet has the Legbar/Welsummer mother, and the second has the pure Legbar mother. There's something about the color and pattern of the first one that reminds me of Welsummer instead of Legbar, and I think I'm seeing more Welsummer shape in her body, too. But I might just be imagining things ;)
Thanks for the guess. It's actually the opposite. The difference is earlobes! Both of my Cream Legbar babies have bright white earlobes. The 3 Legbar/Welsummer babies have brown (probably turning into red) earlobes that you can't even really see from a distance. All 5 have slightly different patterning, although there are 2 pairs that are most similar to each other (this is one of the pairs--the other pair has more red feathering, and the odd one out is almost solid black with bright white earlobes). My Cream Legbars have a really unique earlobe color, it's actually more of a yellow than white. But the Spitz have bright white earlobes that look like pearl earrings.

So, these 2 genetics experiments were the reason I put up a wee fence in my incubator. I wasn't sure if there would be enough of a difference in the phenotype of my Spitz x Legbar (hatched from blue eggs) vs. Spitz x Olive Egger (hatched from Olive eggs) to be able to tell the chicks apart. I've been careful to band the legs of the chicks, as they grew, so I wouldn't get them mixed up. It's only been in the past week or so, that they've developed features that allow me to tell them apart. Just for fun, let me know if you can tell which of the following girls hatched from a blue vs. olive green egg @NatJ @Amer
View attachment 2563012

View attachment 2563013

Here's the white earlobe pullet's mom
legbar hen.jpg

And the not-white-earlobe pullet's mom
olive.jpg

And their Spitz daddy (he seems to be the most likely source of the pullet #1's bright white lobe)
elvis.jpg

I've been wondering about brightness of white & blue eggs, and what egg colors look like when you have a bright white, brown-inhibitor (not sure the actual gene, but I've read something like this exists) vs. simply lacking any brown genes. I only have one Spitz hen who lays the most beautiful, bright, glossy white egg (whenever she can be bothered to lay an egg, that is--maybe twice per week). I assumed my Spitz-Legbar girls would lay a light blue egg that might look a little washed out, next to a pure Legbar. But now I'm wondering if the Spitz genes might give me something bright blue & glossy, even with only 1 blue egg gene. I think we will find out soon...

Thanks for the guess. It's actually the opposite.
I figured I had a 50% change of getting it wrong anyway :lau

I had spotted that one had a whiter earlobe, and the other didn't have any obvious color on the earlobe, but then I went back and looked at the photos of the mothers--white on both of them. So I decided to ignore the earlobes. Apparently not the right decision in this case :gig

Both pullets are really pretty!

Back
Top Bottom