Is there such a thing as Brown Sex Link? (using Barring gene)

So would the blue egg girls be "expected" to have v combs?

That's a great question! We were actually just talking about that over on @HaikuHeritageFarm's thread multiple-comb-type-breeds

Based on my only other hatch with this Spitz Roo, I'm guessing a split single comb, something like this
VplusSingle_pullet1.JPG VplusSingle_pullet2.JPG

But, as you can see on the multi-comb thread, there's a lot we don't know about Duplex combs (of which the v is one type)

That's a great question! We were actually just talking about that over on @HaikuHeritageFarm's thread multiple-comb-type-breeds

Based on my only other hatch with this Spitz Roo, I'm guessing a split single comb, something like this
View attachment 2471473View attachment 2471477

But, as you can see on the multi-comb thread, there's a lot we don't know about Duplex combs (of which the v is one type)
Weren't these the result of the Spitz and a rose combed hen? (Rather than a single combed hen?) If so, I was wondering if a v/single cross would be a different result.) So basically no one knows if a v comb is dominant over single? (I'm totally new to chickens and therefor chicken genetics. Heck, I don't even HAVE any chickens. Yet.)

Weren't these the result of the Spitz and a rose combed hen? (Rather than a single combed hen?) If so, I was wondering if a v/single cross would be a different result.) So basically no one knows if a v comb is dominant over single? (I'm totally new to chickens and therefor chicken genetics. Heck, I don't even HAVE any chickens. Yet.)

It turned out to be a hen heterozygous for rose comb, so the photo I attached was the pullet who got the dam's single comb gene. Here's the one who got a rose comb
VplusRose_pullet2.JPG

The single/v-comb is easier to see on the cockerel from that hatch, but I don't know if the pullets will ever get anything quite this well defined.
VplusSingle_cockerel2.JPG

For more discussion on combs, you should check out the multi comb thread I mentioned. It has lots of great info and includes others with comb development expertise who are less likely to find your question here. I'll post updates here on the Legbar cross pullets, but it does seem to take forever for combs to grow in on the Spitz-cross pullets (and I don't have any cockerels this time around to give us a preview). So, we'll just have to wait and see!

It turned out to be a hen heterozygous for rose comb, so the photo I attached was the pullet who got the dam's single comb gene. Here's the one who got a rose comb
View attachment 2471490

The single/v-comb is easier to see on the cockerel from that hatch, but I don't know if the pullets will ever get anything quite this well defined.
View attachment 2471492

For more discussion on combs, you should check out the multi comb thread I mentioned. It has lots of great info and includes others with comb development expertise who are less likely to find your question here. I'll post updates here on the Legbar cross pullets, but it does seem to take forever for combs to grow in on the Spitz-cross pullets (and I don't have any cockerels this time around to give us a preview). So, we'll just have to wait and see!
Thank you. I can't wait to see the growth changes and progress on your cute "little girls" . :)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. I'm sorry I don't have anything to add of value but I just had to say WOW to these two chickens and the photos themselves. They are beautiful. I don't know if I've seen hardly any prettier chickens, mean that genuinely.

Thank you for the kind words. This is my first time with this cross and I've been thrilled with them. They even have wonderful personalities!

I've been wondering how to get crests more similar to the Spitzhauben forward crests, after getting only crests that fall back from my first cross to Dominiques. I had assumed maybe I would have to wait for F2 Spitz crosses, if it was some sort of recessive crest modifier. Or maybe I wouldn't be able to get it unless I had a smaller homozygous V-comb. However, I think one of my Olive Egger crosses from this hatch might be starting to point forward!
IMG_E7998.JPG

Back
Top Bottom