Rabbit Cage as brooder

S.glenn

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 6, 2007
I will be getting chickens in the spring. I recently purchased a wire rabbit cage from a garage sale. Can I use it as a brooder or will the metal get too hot and burn the chicks? I'm a "newbie" so please be patient with me!

I used a rabbit cage that we built, for my brooder this spring.

brooder.jpg

I covered the floor with styrofoam sheeting, then covered that with plastic. I made sure the plastic came up the sides about 6 inches. This helped keep the pine shavings in the brooder...until they figured out dust bathing!
lau.gif

Dawn

I also used a rabbit cage and than a heating lamp...they were just fine. The bottom was just plastic and was about 4 inches high, and than a wire top, about 5-6 inches high...depends on how many chicks you are going to have, i had 5, and that was plenty of room for them. Good Luck
fl.gif

Yep, the important part is to cover the sides to avoid drafts.. then regulate the heat by lifting or lowering the light so it's just right.

bigzio

We have a rabbit hutch that we converted to a brooder that sits within the main chicken coop now. We just laid down wood over the wire for the floor. It has worked out perfect.

100_1914.jpg

100_1917.jpg

100_1998.jpg

100_2002.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_2005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom