Rabbit killing chickens?

Wow. bit of an eye opener.

Our rabbit actually shares a home with our 2 hens. Well, until earlier today, funnily enough.

In the past week I noticed one of our hens had her tail feathers chewed off, and the tips of her wings were also chewed. I thought initially that she had been attacked by something, but there was no blood and she seemed ok... apart from the funky hairstyle. I wondered if it might have been the rabbit, he likes to chew stuff, especially textiles, blankets etc.

I noticed the rabbit 'nuzzling' the same hen. I stopped him but a day later he was at it again, chasing her around. In the last day or so he has been frantically trying to mount both hens. He isn't chewing their feathers anymore and they don't seem to try to avoid it too much, they didn't seem to mind!

In the early days (They've shared a home for about 4 months now) the chickens would boss the rabbit, and easily outrun him, peck him a bit to put him in his place, but it appears the tables have turned. He is not neutered, and after this morning I stuck him in his own hutch, away from the poor birds.

After reading this post, I am so glad! Thought it was harmless confused bunny at first but to think that he couldve killed them!! He's in isolation until we can get him fixed. I'm sure once he's sorted, he won't try it again.

Why would the rabbit kill chickens?? I thought rabbits were vegetarians..I don't know nothing about it myself except I have a pet rabbit but she has her own pen close to the chickens but not in with them..I will be lining her pen along fence with brick so she don't try to dig under to get to chickens, just in case.

I too don't have an idea about this.But really this news is horrible to hear.My opinion is there must be a chance of Rabbit killing chickens.
-------------------------
lara

Online Dating

I don't think he is actually TRYING to kill them. He is just having some territory issues. I think he dug into their pen because there was some leftover veggies in there and he wanted them. He had eaten his own and wanted more I guess.

Quote:
My two words....Gas Grill.....
big_smile.png

I've never heard of such a thing? I've raised rabbits with chickens a lot and never not once has this even came close to happening?

Were the birds roosting when the rabbit got in?

It seems a little weird to me as well, I could see them possibly biting and nibbling on some feathers but to kill the chicken....

If so I learned something new today.

Even if your certain it's the rabbit I would definately fix the fence as if a rabbit can get in, your going to wake up to a nightmare if a family of racoons happens to stumble on the loose fence. With hands, and not paws they will make quick work of your fence..............and your chickens too.

Im really sorry for your loss, but that is very handy information to know. Thankyou for making it known, I almost made a rabbit hutch next to my coop

Back
Top Bottom