Rabbit pain medication.

Yeah it's okay for a dog not wanting to eat after surgery
smile.png
but just so you know rabbits can't go long without eating, their GI system has to constantly have food in it or else it will stop and they can die.

Thank you, I did not know that
smile.png

I do hope you are able to get her to eat and she recovers ... sending many positive vibes her way
fl.gif

Last edited:
she's doing great everyone :) after syringe feeding her she started nibbling on her lettuce and now she's been eating more (not completely eating like she did before) and she's moving around a lot more.

To everyone discussing their thoughts on pain medication, I was very confused because before her surgery the get told me rabbits need pain medication because they don't handle pain very well. And then after as I picked my bunny up they told me she was too small to have pain medication but before the surgery they told me she needed it :( but she's doing fine now.

That's good that she's feeling better and eating. I'm not sure why the vet didn't give pain meds, rabbits are so very delicate, when it comes to being painful they may stop eating and then everything just shuts down so quickly. I have an exotic's vet who spayed both my female rabbits and they were given tiny doses of Metacam, just for a couple days after surgery, to get them past the worst of it, keep them comfortable and eating. They were even eating their hay on the way home from the vets office and they did great after that.

That's good that she's feeling better and eating.  I'm not sure why the vet didn't give pain meds, rabbits are so very delicate, when it comes to being painful they may stop eating and then everything just shuts down so quickly.  I have an exotic's vet who spayed both my female rabbits and they were given tiny doses of Metacam, just for a couple days after surgery, to get them past the worst of it, keep them comfortable and eating.  They were even eating their hay on the way home from the vets office and they did great after that.
That's what I thought.! I thought the pain meds would just make her feel more comfortable so she can eat, when I'm hurting I don't want to eat. But they didn't give her any and she didn't want to eat for a whole day, until I syringe fed her some ground up pellets and water with baby food.

Last edited:
To everyone discussing their thoughts on pain medication, I was very confused because before her surgery the get told me rabbits need pain medication because they don't handle pain very well. And then after as I picked my bunny up they told me she was too small to have pain medication but before the surgery they told me she needed it
sad.png
but she's doing fine now.

Just a thought, here - I suppose it's possible that the pain medication they would have prescribed comes in doses of a certain size (say, one pill for a 5 lb rabbit) and your rabbit being smaller than that, they felt it would be too difficult to cut the dose down to one appropriate for her size.
idunno.gif

IME, syringing is always a messy business, but you do what you have to do. Great to hear she's doing better. Good job!
thumbsup.gif

Just a thought, here - I suppose it's possible that the pain medication they would have prescribed comes in doses of a certain size (say, one pill for a 5 lb rabbit) and your rabbit being smaller than that, they felt it would be too difficult to cut the dose down to one appropriate for her size.:idunno  

IME, syringing is always a messy business, but you do what you have to do. Great to hear she's doing better. Good job!:thumbsup
I don't know, they have me antibiotics for her, she's a dwarf holland lop. I just didn't understand why they told me she NEEDS pain meds and then tell me no. Like if she really need them couldn't they try their best to get me some or refer me to a doctor who has the right medicine. But it's okay :) she survived it and seems fine. She's a tough bunny.!

My four pound buns were given liquid Metacam.  The dose amounted to what seemed like about two drops per rabbit, super easy to dose with a small syringe.
See that's what I thought they would give me, some liquid medication that's easy to adjust the amount. I guess since they were mostly a dog and cat vet they didn't have the right medication for a rabbit

Back
Top Bottom