Raccoon/cat Mad at myself and heart broken!

Wow!!! Never would have thought they were tree climbers. I have only seen them on the ground and never around the house per say but we have seen the raccoons and foot prints every where from them!! They tripped the cage and dug all around it like crazy to get all the spilt food from the bowl and walked all over my containers turning them over!! The one he put by trash cans forther up the property wasn't messed with so both will go closer to the coop tonight!!! Smart lil boogers!!!

Gold Dust is eating and drinking like champ today!! I am soooo thankful!!! I was not looking forward to tude feeding her! Her poo looks good, I think. No bright green in it. I hope she is ok with her eggs as there has been no eggs yet and she has been pretty regular and all she needs now is to deal with being egg bound! Any ideas how long before I should be concerned and what to look for?

Opossums are naturally tree dwellers. They have a prehensile tail to hang from things, its really neat. They are marsupials and carry their babies in pouches, like kangaroos.

Subhanalah,
The SPCA lady came to pick up a dog that was dropped off at the end of our road and she said she wanted to show my grand kids some thing. She pulled a napkin out of her pocket and had baby ones wrapped up in there. They were soooo tiny! She says she watches for the ones hit on the side of the road and will stop and check the pouch for live babies.

Subhanalah,
The SPCA lady came to pick up a dog that was dropped off at the end of our road and she said she wanted to show my grand kids some thing. She pulled a napkin out of her pocket and had baby ones wrapped up in there. They were soooo tiny! She says she watches for the ones hit on the side of the road and will stop and check the pouch for live babies.

That's an awesome story, csun! They make great little pocket pets....get it? Pocket pets? Oh, somebody stop me. Lol

Oh my egggciting news!!!! Gold Dust had an egg at 8:00 pm tonight! So thankful she will not have to worry about being egg bound also!!! Tried to post a picture for her but the site doesn't like my phone and uploading!! It is the prettiest pearly whitish I have ever seen. Hers are always a pretty light brown. Strange and unsure why so I will research the site to see if that has happened after stress before. I am so happy for her!!

That's an awesome story, csun! They make great little pocket pets....get it? Pocket pets? Oh, somebody stop me. Lol
lau.gif
Good one!

I can't stand possums. They carry EPM, which is deadly to horses. I"ve had an opossum attack my birds before too, but didn't do anything more than rip out tail feathers until I could take a golf club to it. I didn't kill it, but knocked it a good one and never saw it again.

I"m glad to hear your little Gold Dust is doing ok, hopefully she will recover completely.

You do know they will keep coming. If your coop is secure as you say you will have to keep educating the coons that there is no meal for them to get. When you eliminate one another will take its place.
If you trap it I hope you are dispatching it and not relocating it. Best defense against predators is a secure coop. Then you and your birds can sleep good at night.

David

I caught six one summer before I was done. No doubt there are more, but they may be harder to catch. If that happens start changing your bait. Sweets and fishy things worked best for me. That and chinese egg rolls, don't know why, but I always seem to catch something with an egg roll. Also surround the trap with cement blocks so they can't get to the bait from the outside, put one on top too so they don't just flip it over to get at the bait. Too bad it's spring, I doubt the fur is worth anything.

Back
Top Bottom