Raccoon + Havahart live traps... not working so well

If you go to ebay and serch for seller ironcitytrapcompany they have a trap for coons that I really like. I bought one and it works great. I bought one havahart and the coon distroyed the trap before exiting. I will not buy a trap for coons made with small machine wire ever again. If they can get their nail into or around something in a trap, something is gonna give. This trap by ironcitytrapcompany uses a 5 gallon bucket you attach to the trap. It is made from heavy steel and made so the coon can't tear up anything. If you have ever caught a coon before you know that they dig a good size hole under wire trap trying to get out. They aren't able to do even that with this one. I'm not trying to sell their traps but I wanted a trap that would last and this is one that I think I will have around a long time.

Hav a Hart's do suck at catching racoons. Racoons are VERY smart and will avoid going into one. ABout the only thing you can do if you want to try that trap again is to put your bait in a sock and tie it to the top of the trap WAY in the back. SOmetimes it will work, somtimes you come out to a shredded up sock. But if you wan to keep trying that trap this little trick will help. Also you can try to dig a small hole in the ground to recess the trap, and cover the trap with a couple of limbs with leaves. Your best bet is a steel trap if there is any way to set it without getting any of your own animals. The coons will avoid those traps too though. The game warden told us to set the trap and spread a little sand or dirt around it so they don't see the trap and will step in it. If you will set the steel trap at the door of your Hav a Hart where your bait is, you will have a coon. A steel trap is like $7 at your feed store.

I use one a lot like that, what I do is use a can of 9-lives Tuna, leave it in the can, set can beyond food peddle release. Place heavy wood over the top of it, rocks, what ever, just so they think they are sneaking after food. Don't allow them to walk the side of it. When it snaps, the wire for the stay is dropping? I dunno what its called, but it prevents the wire door to drop and not be opened.
I would also suggest that you set the trap in the back end of your truck or a small fenced in area, only if you don't want to catch a skunk (my trick...lever 2000 is the answer to that!!)
Good luck

At this point they know it's a trap and are just messing with it. You need to change the spot you put it in, and cover it , I used burlap bags( hides your scent ) and pieces of wood and created more of a "hole" for them to go into, make sure the bait is attached to the back of the trap so they have to go all the way in. It could be the coon is too big for your trap but I'd try it with a few of the suggestions mentioned here. I also had the best luck with cat food or tuna. Coons are very smart.

Good luck!

I caught a coon last night....

The first one I trapped, months ago, was very smart. First, it would go into the trap and reach over the spring plate and grab out the bait. It knew what the plate was. Then, I put the bait under the trap so that it wasn't easy to get. The coon just picked the trap off the bait and got it. THEN, I put two pieces or rebar and drove them through the trap and into the ground. Then I put the bait under the trap again. The coon had to reach through the bottom wire and pull the bait through it. It was so intent on getting the bait that it got careless about the plate and was caught.

badguest.jpg

Last night I set it again using the same method and...

bad.jpg

The trap is easy to lift off the rebar and take to the disposal site. In my case, I called animal control and they took it away. Brought my trap back the next day.

Last edited:
Minimum size for a coon should be 36" long, period. Opening should be in the order of 12-13" square, minimum. You can never have a trap too big. You can easily have a trap too small. Catching coons in a trap is no big trick, if you use the right size.

As far as quality goes, I like Safeguard traps, or traps with that kind of quality. Heavy wire, doubled up on the bottom to keep critters from reaching through. A heavy metal trip pan is standard on the better traps. They cannot destroy a heavy wire/metal set-up.

Most folks get a trap that is too small. The trap in the picture above is way too small for coons. It will only result in hit and miss strikes, educating the animal quickly. A little brushing in to camo the trap up will result in more critters caught, including fox. You should "pad" the bottom of the trap with pine straw or leaves so the critter does not feel the wire under it's feet.

Last edited:
Just caught too last night, sound like your problem is your bait. I use egg from the incubator, non fertile ones. Throw them all the way in the back, breaking some. They go all the way in to lick up broken ones. Works for skunks,possum, and coons. No cats no small dogs.

they can set off the trap from outside also.

Peanutbutter ?? mice will go in and set it off, get back out thru the wire

Back
Top Bottom