raccoon or red fox?

tajo67

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast Alabama
Having only lost a chicken a year to predators, we felt we were doing a good job keeping our chickens safe as possible. Over a 6 day period we lost 4 of our small flock. My husband is soooo upset. We are getting up at different times during the night keeping an eye on them. The predator is taking just the head and neck, leaving the body( which is terrible thing to see ). It even got my hubbies favorite Red. It came in the house and followed him around. We don't know what it is. We are nursing an injured buff that was attacked, but she will lose her eye anyways. Does anyone have any suggestions please.:eek:

My bet would be on a coon since its only eating the head and neck. Occasionally a skunk or possum will do that too but usually its a coon.

Set a havahart trap and then dispatch the little monster cause if you dont they will keep coming back til you dont have any chickens left sigh.

Thanks for advice. We thought it was probably a coon. We are working on getting some traps. We just hate the thought that it is even near our home as we live in a county with the highest rate of rabies. We have already had to deal with one rabid coon. I am so glad there is this great site to help with big and little issues.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom