Raccoons Coming During Rains

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Biggins (at least 2) and proving hard to get. Primary target has been sweet corn, but tonight gamecock. Trap line of dog proof traps (4 units) baited using sweet corn kernels was passed up. Rain heavy, like I am soaked after 30 seconds. Dogs penned to prevent them from cleaning traps or running off coons not yet trapped. Game cameras show both those go on. I was asleep at 0220 when dogs started chuffing then when balistic trying to get passed door. I got up with flashlight and out barefooted and shirtless to release them. Soon as rounded house corner I could hear rooster squalling (raccoons had him and trying to pull him through pen) and another step I could see at least two adult raccoons with flashlight. Dogs had gone silent and were almost on raccoons when bolted and went into the heavy brush. Dogs were briefly fighting at least one raccoon as all ran down the hill. Underbrush too heavy and everything to wet. The raccoons got away and would not tree, or at least dogs could not line them out if the did. Rain real heavy and I cannot see my feet in the stuff. German Pointer got dinged up a little, but I think that may have been caused by the very thorny vines. I can see no actual wounds on her. She is licking legs and shoulders a lot. We may have gotten into nettles too. If so, then I just got into the edge of them. Also must remember not to leave muck boots at work.

Rooster released from pen so he can be taken into core area. He would not let me pick him up so he had to walk with dogs back to garage on his own. He followed light beam real well. Long walk in the rain. Garage door open so he could walk in and jump up on a cooler. He is too wet to fly. He will be tended to at dawn. Right now he is not keen on being handled.

Tomorrow a second trap line will be set further down the hill and baited with protein / fat rich materials. Pathway will have to be mowed so I can run traps even when raining like last couple nights. It is no fun trying to fight way through very wet and often thorny vegetation when rain already so high you cannot see. These raccoons I want to kill rather than simply run off. They have been coming in whenever we get a couple night of heavy rain and dogs cannot cut them off from woods or culvert between house and woods.

I may setup hot-wire as well. Too many patches to adequately defend from raccoons. Next year corn will be planted closer to apple orchard. They must know all the corn patches in the county.

In addition to Red Fox running trap line, something else that looks like a corn-fed Banshee was out messing when and where not supposed to be very much during bed time. Based on hair rain had not started yet. We have a date issue on camera again.

MFDC6990.JPG
MFDC6992.JPG

Doesn't work as well in the rain but take a lighter and burn a corner of the marsh mellow a bit to make it smell more.

I'm telling ya as somebody that traps making them double throw instead of single throw really increases the catch. I still have a few and they are all modded. For now on I only buy z traps.

I may try another brand / design, but trapping is not a major endeavor for me. Too many other things to do. Also the predators I deal with are easier to catch than somebody going after them as furbearers. I can successfully use approaches for Red Fox that real trappers probably cannot because critters away from poultry yard are much more wary. A relative protecting a much larger garden and game chickens has taken out close to 100 raccoons this year alone by trapping a very small area. Under such conditions the equipment needs to be durable and work easily even when weather / seeing bad. Arming traps during downpour after dark makes you look for simple. At least I am not tangling with mink and otters.

Doesn't work as well in the rain but take a lighter and burn a corner of the marsh mellow a bit to make it smell more.

I'm telling ya as somebody that traps making them double throw instead of single throw really increases the catch. I still have a few and they are all modded. For now on I only buy z traps.
@Howard E can direct me to local providers of the double throw?

I got mine at Orschlens Farm and Home. They had both Z traps and Dukes.

To get the Dukes to fire, I use a whole, standard sized marshmallow under the trigger, which they can't pull out without trap firing. I hear the candy orange slices worth the same. In fact, when I go to the checkout counter at Orschlens, they have an end cap covered with bags of candy. I see all of that as coon bait for DP's.

For the Z traps, with push/pull triggers, I'm using black Twizzlers licorice. Just cut it up in short 3/8" bits.....and only put 4 or 5 bits below the trigger. No more. You want the first thing they grap to be the trigger. Put any extra on the ground by the trap to get them sniffing around. Just a little at either place.

I'm using the sweet corn in the bait can hanging on the hot wire. That way, they gat a bad taste for sweet corn.

Back
Top Bottom