Raccoons/Skunks during the day?

Lesa

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Upstate NY
I was feeling so pleased that I hadn't lost any chickens-they were all happy and healthy at 6weeks. Yesterday my daughter went out to check on them and our favorite girl, a beautiful polish, was gone. I have been reading this site all winter and I know that almost everyone has a sad story to tell about predators. We were letting the chickens free range in the day and tucking them in tight at night. I thought/hoped that would keep them safe... I found our girl about 30 feet away, with no head. The rest of her was untouched. From the descriptions on the predator list, it sounds like a raccoon or skunk. I thought these were nocturnal animals? Has anyone seen something like this in the day?? Thanks to you again- I have learned so much from this site.

There are no absolutes. Animals follow patterns, which can vary by locale. By and large they are nocturnal, yes. But not always.

Time to get a gun.

Yep, raccoon for sure will kill during the day. I had one come and kill 3 ducks after 8:00 in the morning. I fixed the hole where he got in, he was back that night, made a new hole and killed remaining duck and the 3 big Marans chickens I had in there. The next morning I seen him out there trying to get into another pen with my smaller chickens and doves. He didn't really eat anything he killed, just mangled the neck and head then went to kill the next bird.Karen

Thanks guys- It makes me feel a little better to know I am not alone. I feel so guilty. I checked on them a million times and they seemed safe. Do you mean to tell me these critters will take full grown birds, as well?

When mammals are raising young, even the nocturnal ones can be seen during the day. They'll take an easy meal over a difficult one, to keep their weight up as they nurse and to feed weanling babies...sorry for your loss...

God gave raccoons masks because they are sneaky thievin' chicken stealers, day or night. BEWARE!

And we see skunks during the day when they have babies. Cute, but not so cute if they eat your poultry.

Can you chicken tractor them? That might help.

Yes. Raccoons definitely attack during the day. I let my chickens out after 8 am this week and four of them (half the flock) including a rooster, got it. We found one body with no head down in a woodsy ditch behind the coop. All others vanished. I didn't know before reading this post that they hunt during the day when they have babies. No more free ranging for a while. They are only three month old, so perhaps too young to fly away and save themselves. We are going to buttress and increase the size of the run today with hardware cloth and a roof. If anyone has suggestions about extra security they'd be welcome. And no, we can't afford an electric fence right now.

Reading these things really make me cry.
hit.gif

I saw a racoon one morning looking all cute and innocent in my front garden. Turns out DH was throwing out the left over bird food out there each day so he started coming for breakfast.
somad.gif
roll.png

My peacock cage was right there and he didnt do anything thank God.
fl.gif
I had to scold DH for feeding the thing and i stopped seeing it in the daytime.

I hope you don't have any more problems
fl.gif

We saw a raccoon at 3:00 yesterday afternoon. I think the drought here has everything desperate for food so they are hunting day and night. We lost our first chicken to a raccoon a few weeks ago.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom