Baby raccoon

We live in the country on 40 acres. I have a flock of chickens. We found 3 young raccoons no mother seen. My husband thinks we should kill them as they will grow up to be predators to our chickens. I think we should move them as they are young and adorable. What should be done?
The best solution is one you can both live with, and that protects your chickens and family. That being said, you should probably locate a wildlife rescue to take them in. I don't know how you'd do that, but I got help once by calling a local nature center and asking who I should contact. Your local wildlife conservation agents should be able to advise, too.

Personally, I'd humanely kill them. The most humane and foolproof method is probably cervical dislocation, but I have absolutely no idea how to successfully manage it on a baby raccoon. Next best is probably a .22 bullet to the brain. It's quick, and they don't feel it as it kills them before the brain registers pain. There may be some kicking afterwards - but it's only neurological reflexes, not conscious movement.

I doubt that a veterinarian would offer euthanization for wildlife, but you could call and ask if the bullet method is too gory for you to think about. It's possible, maybe?

My chickens are my pets not just farm animals. I've spent my entire life in the city we've just recently moved into the country so the city girl in me is devastated by the idea of killing any animal let alone a young animal. Any input would make this a little easier.

I've lived in both the city and country, probably about equal years in each. So I 'get it' from both angles. My sister had a baby pet raccoon when I was a small child, named "Skeezix." He snuggled under my blanket on the floor one day, and someone stepped on him. Bye bye, Skeezix. I've rehabilitated countless wild animals, both predator and prey - hawks, rabbits, squirrels, rodents, songbirds, turtles and even snakes. So my heart goes out to any innocent animal that, through no fault of its own, finds itself at the mercy of a farmer intent on protecting his livestock.

Relocating is not an option, unless you can guarantee that the animal will: 1. Not become someone else's problem, 2. Not starve or fall victim to predation, 3. Inhabit a territory that's not already taken by a bigger, meaner animal. In other words, you can't.

A coworker and I were once discussing raccoons. Me a hobby farmer with a nice plot of pasture, woods and a small river, and she a city-dweller on the outskirts of town. She trapped the raccoons whenever possible, then took them to a wooded area with a river to release them. Been doing it for years. I told her how we just shot them whenever they showed up on our farm, and had probably dispatched 30-40 in the past couple of years. She said that's about how many she'd released in the same amount of time. uh, hmmm...
So I asked where, exactly, she'd been releasing them....
Wanna guess where that wooded area and river were located?

Good luck, whatever you decide. And please don't witness the killing if your husband does it, if you can avoid it. The visual memory will be with you for a long time, until you've overlaid that memory with many, many more of the same thing.

FWIW, I slaughter and butcher all of my own chickens. It's never easy and I spend days mentally preparing myself for the process. They aren't pets, but it is hard not to get attached to some of them.
Anyway, I make it easier by cuddling and talking to the chicken, petting him, and I say a prayer to thank Heavenly Father for the blessing of this means of nourishing myself and my family. I thank the chicken for the sacrifice of its life and the gift it's about to give to me. And then I do the deed as quickly and skillfully as I can manage, so it doesn't have time to suspect what's happening and become scared.

I imagine I'd do about the same thing, if I had to dispatch a baby raccoon or three.

Here wildlife rehab facilities don't take raccoons, because of disease risks. Friends of ours had the same experience that @BarnyardChaos experienced, when 35+ raccoons with no fear of humans spent time in their barn one year. Released by a nice lady up their road, back when the rehabbers did take in raccoons.
And I've seen four neurological raccoons over the years. One had rabies, one had abcesses in his brain, the two weren't necropsied because "there's no raccoon rabies in this county"!
Amazing how things aren't found if testing isn't done!
Mary

We found four and took them to a wildlife rehabilitator. No chance I could have killed those babies…it was worth the effort to move them.

Edit - my husband did take care of their mother when he found her eating with my chickens twice. The first time was a gimme, the second was not. We didn’t know she had babies until they started showing up on our porch, and after that, we built a secure run (the other one had netting which they obviously climb through). I still don’t like the situation - I should have ensured the run was secure from the start. Never felt as terrible as I did when we started seeing them teeter totter around the yard. And there are few things as cute as those babies.

Last edited:
We found four and took them to a wildlife rehabilitator. No chance I could have killed those babies…it was worth the effort to move them.

Edit - my husband did take care of their mother when he found her eating with my chickens twice. The first time was a gimme, the second was not. We didn’t know she had babies until they started showing up on our porch, and after that, we built a secure run (the other one had netting which they obviously climb through). I still don’t like the situation - I should have ensured the run was secure from the start. Never felt as terrible as I did when we started seeing them teeter totter around the yard. And there are few things as cute as those babies.
Cuteness is an evolutionary defense mechanism. It gets you to go "aww cute" at the baby predators instead of eating them. It's why wolves raise human babies sometimes

Babies are cute because it saves their lives occasionally

Humans are programmed to think that critters with eyes forward, and features similar to human infants, are cute. Hence dog breeds developed with big eyes, small muzzles, and
generally 'cuter' faces. Cats too, as Persians.
Mary
It's called neotony. The process of domestication is the process of retaining neotenous traits into adulthood. Most dog breeds are permanently stuck at puppy level and never hit the full maturity of a wolf
1546915867544.jpg

Humans are just the same. We look very soft and weak when compared to any of our stone age ancestors. Our jaws are significantly smaller, and our heads are larger- more similar to a baby

Natural selection has made nearly all vertebrate cute when young though

We live in the country on 40 acres. I have a flock of chickens. We found 3 young raccoons no mother seen. My husband thinks we should kill them as they will grow up to be predators to our chickens. I think we should move them as they are young and adorable. What should be done? My chickens are my pets not just farm animals. I've spent my entire life in the city we've just recently moved into the country so the city girl in me is devastated by the idea of killing any animal let alone a young animal. Any input would make this a little easier.
You could move them if the law where you live allows. It would be best to catch the mother too if she's around. I just had the same situation and the mother wasn't around. I caught them and turned them over to a wildlife rehabilitator. My chickens are also pets and I don't like killing any animal either.

Back
Top Bottom