Raccoons

coons are just animals and yes they need to be controlled releasing them someplace else is not a responsible way to do it you can just be spreading illness and that wont control the numbers which is the real problem the price of fur went way down so no one is trapping or hunting them much get the numbers back in check problem will be minimized

Thanks for the support. There are no words to describe the carnage I have come to see in there. I know raccoons are nasty destructive creatures, but I realize they are also just trying to survive. That said, they need to go elsewhere for their lunch because snacking on my birds is unacceptable.

I know that the 3 I have trapped are just the tip of the iceberg. I plan to lock up the chickens and set my 2 traps every night until there is a full week with no coons trapped. This will give me time to build fort knox inside the pen and turn the pen itsself into a fortress.

we were having a problem with coons .I got the solar nite guard lites , its been 2 weeks and no sign of any coons not sure if this will last but so far so good....

Pop -
I tried your method on the one I trapped last night and it was much less traumatic.
Thank you.

So that's 2 relocated and 2 dispatched.

The chickey wickeys are locked up again tonight and the traps are loaded. I really hope they stop coming.

#2 was a little easier, but still not something I really want to do more often than I have to.

Quote:
sometimes they will stop coming for a little bit keep the trap baited and wire the door open so it will not go off let them get a meal or two and then reset the trap and get the last one
thumbsup.gif

Where I live, we can actually take them to the animal shelter and drop them off. They put them to sleep. The only stipulation they have is that we have to call them in advance and tell them we are bringing one.

But no...the ACO won't come and pick them up, but we only live 5 mn. away from the shelter.

Quote:
sometimes they will stop coming for a little bit keep the trap baited and wire the door open so it will not go off let them get a meal or two and then reset the trap and get the last one
thumbsup.gif

Great idea! But even if they stop comming, don`t assume you`re in the clear. I lived on a coon highway in FL until about 5 years ago. They would stop for a few weeks and then come back with a vengeance. I kept my trap baited wit a couple whole eggs. The eggs aren`t messy and would last 3-4 weeks if nothing was caught. My trap was set 24/7 for years. Keep up the good work, it will pay off..............Pop

I can relate to what youre saying. Dh Finally brought home the trap and first i caught a possum. Shot it in the cage. Took two shots to the head. Next night i caught a coon. Which is what i wanted. I lost a turkey hen on a nest. Dh said he saw two coons running from the scene, so when i saw that big sucker in that cage i just remembered the awful sound of my poor sharon dying and it steeled me right up for the task. I keep my birds locked up pretty tight, the only times i loose any is when they stay out for one reason or another. That coon took three shots. The first was to be the top of the head, but it moved as i pulled the trigger. I set the trap again last night but didnt bait it cuz i need time to get over what i had to do. Its still hard to do. Raccoons were my favorite animal and i know they are just trying to survive. But so are my chickens. And im their protector. I cant just let them be killed. Especially after ive seen how they dont even Eat hardly any of the bird. I know i also have a fox around becuase ive lost two chickens during daylight. Too big for the hawks around here to carry off plus my goat made it bark a few nights ago. *sigh*. I Hate having to kill things. : (

I hope the coons stop coming for your chickens

I wish there was another solution. I am getting tired of trapping! Everytime we trap, we catch one! We are on number 11 now and 2 possums. I usually wake my husband up when I find one in the trap and say, "you're on coon duty again today."
th.gif

I haven't gotten to the point of being able to kill one yet, but I'm sure that day will come. We are overun with them here!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom