Raccoons

Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Aledo, TX
Yes, more raccoons. They have decimated my flock. Tried everthing short of electricity which is not an option due to location. Finally locked up the survivors in dog crates and set traps.

I have two trapped right now. If I shoot them and leave their bodies out behind the coop will that deter the others?

If not I will take them to Animal Control for dispatch.

Last edited:
no, it won't deter others. if anything, they might attract additional predators. we shoot ours inside the traps, then throw them waaaay back in the woods as far away from the chicken areas as possible. if you don't have woods, you could always bury them (deep) somewhere... animal control may or may not help you, depending on your particular area.

Ugh sorry! Is it me or are there sooooo many coons out there. Maybe they should have a hunt day for them
wink.png

Consider a chainlink dog kennel with a chainlink panel for the top (you can get various single panels at Home Depot and Lowes). Just be sure that each point of the fence wire is secured to the surrounding pipe. Also line the base with small opening wire to stop reach thrus at chicken height.

Quote:
I agree, it won`t help. I put mine in a black garbage bag and out with the other garbage. Animal control is NOT your friend. They may take them or not, but if they do they will probably release them as soon as they are out of sight. Don`t trust them..........Pop

Trap and shoot yourself. Handle the problem. Don't be a drain on your municipality and get animal control involved because you will have to operate on their time, and they don't care about your birds.

I throw mine on the lower 40 LOL. I call it the predator cemetary because next to there is a real cemetary. I'm hoping it keeps the other predators over there but who knows.

SOLAR electrical fence charger. You CAN have electrical fencing any where you want it. Only thing to be concerned with is how much sun the charger can get. Otherwise I would recommend you go electric. Once they are zapped, they won't be back.

Quote:
actually, yeah, i kinda agree with this
smile.png
AC units are notoriously underfunded and understaffed, it's hard enough for them to keep up with dogfighting, animal abuse, loose pets, etc... they may or may not care about your birds but they almost certainly have higher priorities. so if you have the ability to take care of the coons yourself, you'd be doing everyone a favor by doing so
smile.png
i forgot about just putting them in a black trash bag in with the regular garbage, hah, i don't have trash service
big_smile.png
but that might be a pretty simple solution if you do.

Back
Top Bottom