Scaring Off Stray Pets: Suggestions

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I’ve read through some of the past threads and was hoping to have get some ideas for deterring loose dogs from wandering around on my land. Also,I wondered if I need to worry about cats? There’s a lot of livestock around here, and some of these dogs may be just wandering livestock guardians, but they might go after chickens. I have my birds behind electric netting - so thats a deterrent. But I had one dog yesterday that was pretty persistent and I felt unsafe when I went out there. Kind of a big dog, and no body language suggesting that it was friendly. I saw some suggestions in a recent thread about catching the dogs and taking them to animal control but that sounds terribly dangerous. I was wondering about non-llethal methods of scaring the dog off to see if that will keep him from returning. I did call animal control because I felt unsafe - he did not leave when I came out. That doesn’t mean the dog is dangerous - or after the birds - I’m just afraid to find out. He unfortunately did not touch the fence, but did walk along it.

I approach this issue from the end opposite the wandering dogs - the dog owner.

This has been a recurring problem where I live in the mountain wilderness where people think it's swell for their dogs to run amok on other people's property. I phone the owner with a "friendly" warning that this time I didn't shoot and kill their dogs, but next time they come over and threaten my chickens the next phone call will be to notify them to come pick up their dead dogs.

This works well every time, and strangely, these folks seem to harbor no ill feelings about my ultimatum, knowing very well I was generous not to kill the dogs outright and to give them this warning, but meaning it sincerely that I will kill their dogs next time. In all cases, there was no next time.

I approach this issue from the end opposite the wandering dogs - the dog owner.

This has been a recurring problem where I live in the mountain wilderness where people think it's swell for their dogs to run amok on other people's property. I phone the owner with a "friendly" warning that this time I didn't shoot and kill their dogs, but next time they come over and threaten my chickens the next phone call will be to notify them to come pick up their dead dogs.

This works well every time, and strangely, these folks seem to harbor no ill feelings about my ultimatum, knowing very well I was generous not to kill the dogs outright and to give them this warning, but meaning it sincerely that I will kill their dogs next time. In all cases, there was no next time.
Unfortunately, I don't have any idea on the dog ownership. The dog took off into a wooded area - not sure where he went.

Yes, you are right. Guns must only be used after you have received the proper training. There's much more to shooting a gun than squeezing the trigger. It's 99% sensible judgement which the NRA used to teach before they acquired evil leadership.

You would be better off attempting to find out from the neighbors whose dogs these are and having a heart to heart chat with them. It's only a matter of time before a chicken gets killed. Let me tell you, it's extremely heart breaking what dogs do to a chicken.

It's very much a 'Your Milage May Vary' thing if neighbors will be polite or horrible at being told that you will shoot loose dogs that come on your place.

My mom used to catch the dog and paint a bull's-eye target on its head, and let it go. Dogs so treated did not return.

Great idea, @Shadrach ! I recommend this one as I own several cans of this I keep in strategic places for actual bears. It's a great price. I usually pay over $50 for this brand which is very dependable. https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Fronti...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

It has a fifteen to twenty foot range and is powerful. Do not use it unless you are sure which way the wind is blowing. The stuff burns like crazy if it gets on your skin. If you shoot it at the eyes of a predator, it will temporarily blind them. They will never return. Much better than dealing with a dead dog.

I was wondering about non-lethal methods of scaring the dog off to see if that will keep him from returning.
I wonder about a spray of water from a hose?

Some dogs like it, some do not. The dogs that dislike it may leave. The dogs that like the water may then consider you a friend, so you can catch them.

It is almost certain to fail with some dogs, but is not particularly dangerous to you or to your chickens if you mis-aim.

I saw some suggestions in a recent thread about catching the dogs and taking them to animal control but that sounds terribly dangerous.
You might consider a large live-trap. If animal control will come and get the dog after it is trapped, you will not need to handle it directly, and they can be sure the dog will be present when they come. A loose dog might wander off again, which would waste their their time.

Back
Top Bottom