Scaring Off Stray Pets: Suggestions

Bear spray is a good idea, but be sure to practice first!
Actually shooting a moving target is tricky, and at least here we have very limited safe lines of fire, and we know it. Handling firearms carefully is most important!
Any pet might get loose once, and a responsible dog owner will manage better, so it's not going to be a repeat episode. The other sort of pet owner not good at all.
Mary

Yes, you are right. Guns must only be used after you have received the proper training. There's much more to shooting a gun than squeezing the trigger. It's 99% sensible judgement which the NRA used to teach before they acquired evil leadership.

You would be better off attempting to find out from the neighbors whose dogs these are and having a heart to heart chat with them. It's only a matter of time before a chicken gets killed. Let me tell you, it's extremely heart breaking what dogs do to a chicken.
I have taken a course on gun safety from the perspective of hunting. I now have to go do some practice - hopefully over the summer. Ive only lived here 6 months and haven’t met many neighbors. But there aren’t many dogs that i see. A lone cayote does wander through here. He hunts the rodents in the fields. He could be trouble. I’ve got 48” tall netting - hope that keeps him out, but that was why I thought I should learn to shoot. Neighbors did loose lambs to a pack. They got a guard llama - they don’t have predator fencing though.

Bear spray is a good idea, but be sure to practice first!
Actually shooting a moving target is tricky, and at least here we have very limited safe lines of fire, and we know it. Handling firearms carefully is most important!
Any pet might get loose once, and a responsible dog owner will manage better, so it's not going to be a repeat episode. The other sort of pet owner not good at all.
Mary
I will give this a try!

Thank you for all for the ideas and replies. I ordered some bear spray - thank you for the link to that. I am not sure where I developed some fear of dogs, but I thought about spraying the dog with the hose and was afraid it might turn on me. I have dogs and love them to pieces, but getting too close to one I don’t know especially if alone - just can’t do it. I had to jump into a dog fight to rescue my dog once in a dog park - maybe that’s it.

Back
Top Bottom