Racoons with attitude

Quote:
That's not high enough voltage IMO (says 800 on the site)

I had one around 1200 volts, intermittent/pulse style . . . didn't work so well for my dog. She could brush up on it without getting shocked.
Upgraded to 2200-2500 continuous state horse fence, worked great on everything except the neighbor's Boxer who liked to charge it hard enough to break the wires fast for minimum shock. It's fried 2 squirrels so far - what happens is they grab the hot wire AND a well grounded chainlink fence and can't let go.

Last edited:
I live in the suburbs too. I don't know if it's legal, but twice now, including last night, my son woke up, and quietly went out with his bb gun, and shot at it, and it took off. As long as my 'Nosy Neighbor' doesn't catch him. She had a hissy fit when he and his friends would shoot their paintball or airsoft guns in the backyard!
roll.png

We've always used a live trap with a half open can of sardines in it-luckily we don't have a problem because we're out in the 'country' and my husband's rifle works just fine
smile.png
!!-Racoons are brutal....Friends of ours live in an allotment and they had trouble with coons getting into their garage--He live trapped them and because of city laws they couldn't shoot them--so he "relocated" the whole trap into the deep stream in their back yard--left it there for a half hour or so and then could take care of things easily---I hope you get your coons under control soon --They are nasty critters!! Make sure when you set a live trap that you stake it down because they can roll them and escape!!

Racoons should be killed. Honestly. They dont need to be relocated- theyre every bit as numerous in the wild as need be, and they are a dangeous rabies carrying, pet mauling bother in the cities.

Trap it and shoot it and bury it.

Relocation is for things like fishers, or mink, or great horned owls- not possums and coons.

Quote:
Yeah, any multi-pump type of pellet gun will do the job. Just poke the barrel in through the wire to his head and tell him to say his prayers

If you use a .22LR in a standard 20 inch barrel rifle, the report isn't very loud. One trick to keep the neighbors unawares, if you are dealing with a trapped racoon in your yard (recommend Duke DP traps, they ain't getting out of them), start your lawn mower and have it running near the trap while you carry out the business at hand. Neighbors won't likely hear the gunshot as you dispatch the little sucker. You can also use an electric leaf blower running a couple feet away, if you don't have a mower. The sound will mask the report of the rifle. Then follow the three "S" rule...shoot, shovel, shut up.

my local feed store rents cage traps and they have sizes just for racoons. I took mine across the river here and let them out in a wooded area.

It would be much better if you had marinated the coon in the river for an hour or two before opening the trap. It has been my experience that marinating or waterboarding a 2 foot tall coon in 3 feet of water takes the fight out of them and results in the coon respecting both you and your chickens. That also allows you to use Maw Nature's renewable force of gravity to help get Rocky Raccoon out of the trap.

Back
Top Bottom