Racoons

I got to same traps. My biggest concern is my barn cats. I would really hate to catch one of them.
I don't like to use poisons unless it is for mice in buildings.
Tempted to get the glue traps and set them up and watch the fun!

On a good note my new chicken house has arrived and my pullets have been moved in and are very happy.

Pretty sure the coons were not around last night because the coyotes woke me up.

Got my coon trap set up and got one! Had my game camera up and it looked like 3 or 4 were around. Baited it with a piece of bread with peanut butter on it. Going to put a little honey on it tonight and see if I get another one.
Used some 2 foot tent stakes to hold it down. That worked good.

Had to watch the youtube video to find out how to set the trap.

Got my coon trap set up and got one! Had my game camera up and it looked like 3 or 4 were around. Baited it with a piece of bread with peanut butter on it. Going to put a little honey on it tonight and see if I get another one.
Used some 2 foot tent stakes to hold it down. That worked good.

Had to watch the youtube video to find out how to set the trap.
You need to use a proper stake or anchor. Sooner or later one of em will pull it up and be gone with the trap.

Well roosterhavoc you were right. I lost one trap, but 2 racoons were in the other 2 traps!
Watched my game camera video and no more coons; for now.

duke dog proof coon traps, there certified humane where i live (sask) so we can legally use them, never heard of a dog or cat getting in one (only possum's and skunks) and not a bad price about 20-25$ so i can get two for the price of one cage trap. just dispatch them once caught.

+1 on the Duke dog proof traps. I trap a lot of coons, more than I ever want to see... The dog proof traps really do the trick. I use mini marshmallows.

In my experience, the coons do not become trap shy around dog proofs. Just anchor them down real well so they can't get away with it stuck on their paw and keep the area the coon will be trapped in free from anything it can wrap the chain around. Sometimes they can get enough leverage to pull it off this way.

Now, do not fall in love with only one approach. The raccoons can become trap-wise, even to the dog proof traps. Do not leave improvements to where you house birds and other anti-predator measures out of the equation.
100% agree with this trapping should not be your only line of defensive, but trapping works well, read story's of guys who coon trap having up to 30-60 coons a night. if you catch and kill then they should not become trap smart very fast :)

100% agree with this trapping should not be your only line of defensive, but trapping works well, read story's of guys who coon trap having up to 30-60 coons a night. if you catch and kill then they should not become trap smart very fast :)

There is another way they can become trapwise. They are with another when it gets caught. It is far from rare for the raccoons to be moving about in a loose group. Additionally, when you hunt or trap, you do not catch all animals out in a given area. You do take more if using more than one method to be sure but even then not all are taken. You get closer yet by removing habitat.

Our dogs go nuts when one get close. Our big lab cross treed a fisher once. And he likes to kill rats. I'm a firm believer in big, loud, protective dogs.

Once you get past he puppy stage where they chase everything that moves, of course. And it's rather more expensive than using traps. And this can displease the neighbors. But overall--we've only ever lost one hen to a predator. And ours roost in a coop where the door is open unless it's winter or pouring.

Back
Top Bottom