rain water collecting

I capture grey water. We don't get enough rain to do anything with. I even let the hose run into a barrel when I turn it on during the day, just so I can collect all the super hot water that I can't put directly on my plants.

Can't run hot hose water into the rain barrel if you've got little fishies. I keep a bucket in the garden for hot water. Unfortunately, I'm not as diligent as I should be about conserving that hot water. My little girl is attending a day camp, and they have hose attached to double bowl stainless steel sink. It causes me to have huge issues with lust!! Oh how wonderful it would be to have one of those set up at the garden gate... Wash veggies, hands, mix fertilizer w/o bending over, the list goes on and on!

Don't forget to put minnows or small fish in the barrels they will eat the bugs for you . Its wonderful.
I absolutely love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
We are in the beginning stages of building our coop & I was planning to add gutters/ rain collection barrel to the back of our sloped roof but hubby was concerned with mosquitoes. Adding fish sounds like a simple solution. Is there any other care you need to provide to the fish or is it pretty self sustaining?

It is completely self sustaining, though you could throw in a flake or two of fish food every now and then. don't forget to put a top over the barrel. I actually like to keep it open to the air with a wire top so the mosquitoes will breed in it. I figure that every mosquito who lays eggs in the rain barrel won't be laying them elsewhere. Eggs in the barrel = fish food, while eggs elsewhere = more blood sucking bugs. At the end of the summer, the fish can be stored in a fish tank or other container in a very cool location, and be fed only occasionally.

Goldfish will survive being frozen during winter. Visited caverns once that had a beautiful rock pond at the entrance with frozen goldfish since it was winter. The guides said those same fish had lived over 5 years so far without ever being moved during winter! They do a sort of hibernation while frozen and unfreeze without a problem. How awesome can nature get?!?

Back
Top Bottom