Raising a single chick with adult hen

btruegs

Chirping
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Spokane WA
Can I buy a single rooster chick, take one of my existing hens, place it in a larger brooder with the chick, then add the chick to my existing flock of hens along with the "momma"? will that restart the pecking order? I haven't found anything online.

Is the hen broody? If so, and she accepts the chick to raise, then "yes". If the hen is not broody, she will likely maim or kill the chick.

Last edited:
Chicken World doesn't work that way. The baby chick would be considered an outsider and probably killed if you followed through on your plan.

The only way you are going to be able to add a new chicken to your flock is to raise the boy chick yourself until it's six months old and fully grown and then carefully and gradually introduce the fellow to the flock, and hope they won't beat him up too badly.

Chicken World doesn't work that way. The baby chick would be considered an outsider and probably killed if you followed through on your plan.

The only way you are going to be able to add a new chicken to your flock is to raise the boy chick yourself until it's six months old and fully grown and then carefully and gradually introduce the fellow to the flock, and hope they won't beat him up too badly.
So I can raise it by it's self?

Is the hen broody? If so, and she accepts the chick to raise, then "yes". If the hen is not broody, she will likely maim or kill the chick.
I don't really know if she is broody, but she is veeerrry mellow and nice. At the moment, none of my hens are laying, I think due to molting.

Why not save yourself all the trouble, and a little chick from being lonely for months on end and just adopt an adult rooster? I bet if you go on Craig's list, you can get one for FREE! And you would have your rooster right NOW!

Why not save yourself all the trouble, and a little chick from being lonely for months on end and just adopt an adult rooster? I bet if you go on Craig's list, you can get one for FREE! And you would have your rooster right NOW!
I actually was just on there! I think that's what i will do, then i'm also probably saving a life.

Well, then! We have a plan! Please let us know how it turns out and what the lucky little fellow looks like and, if you can, post a pic!

Back
Top Bottom