Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Jess turns 18 next month and we are going through the process of setting up a conservatorship for her. We had to have a Declaration of Competency filled out by her doctor. I think if I had taken it to her neurologist, he could have filled it out just from the notes from our visits. But her pediatrician is a LOT closer. We met with her, she asked for IEPs or other items that might help her answer the questions. She also took a TON of notes from what I told her. She just asked me to describe a normal day with Jess. I gave her school test results, IEPs, letters from her teachers etc. She spent the weekend going through all the info I gave her and filled out the report for me and included a letter for the court that sums up Jess so perfectly!

So now we file these forms, wait for a court date and the process starts.

I remember doing this for my sis. Once you have those papers done, you are pretty well set. Just go before a Judge now. They can be different. The Judge I went before did ask me quite a few questions. Some don't from what I hear. Good luck, you are almost done!

Thank you Cynthia!!! I was told it could be 3 to 4 months before we get a court date. Then a lawyer will be assigned to my daughter, and an investigator will be assigned. There is a video we need to go to the court house to watch, then buy a book and show proof we bought it (the book is available online, the rest of California doesn't need you to purchase the book - just sign an affidavit that you read it. But my county requires we buy it still. The video is on Youtube, but I still have to watch it AT the courthouse. Anyone that meets Jess will know she needs this, so I"m not worried about that, but I'm still stressed about going to court.

Oh me too! I have such a soft spot for Richard anyway, having learned so much from the both of you about Spina Bifida as the kids age.

Hey, Jessimom! You've got this!!

X's 2! And yes, you will be glad when it's all done. I still have to do some paper work once a year for the court. Not sure you will since she is living with you..right? Lisa is in a place, so they need to know that she is being properly taken care of in there. That I am satisfied with how things are there.

Thank you all so much! This will be a big relief!!

Yes, she splits her time between her dad's house and mine. I was told there would be an investigator - do they go to our houses to make sure they are appropriate? She is turning 18....she was safe in our houses for the past 18 years - I'm wondering why they would need to investigate things... I think if they do come for a home visit, I probably should get the baby chicks out of the bathroom?

California may have different laws/rules than Illinois but we didn't have any home visits when we applied for guardianship of our son when he was turning 18. We had to provide "tons" of paperwork from different places and he was assigned a representative that "could provide an objective opinion" about what was best for him. He now (31) lives in a duplex with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths with 3 other men. We continue to make decisions about where he lives, medical, goals he needs to work on, etc.
It seems like a hassle, but you'll get through it! :hugs

Richard shared a video..which I won't post..but it's a friend that sings, on youtube of course, and she shared something, about being told no...here was what he shared after watching her video...

So my friend Nadia does these inspirational videos every Thursday. Today's message is that every "No" brings you closer to a "yes" in life. Recently many of you know I went in for a surgery to get rid of a chronic pain I've had for the last three years. Two surgeries I have had to remove what was causing my pain had failed, it was like I kept getting hit with "No, not yet" type scenarios. Then after this surgery I had at the beginning of this month that also failed to remove what was causing my pain, I mysteriously developed a pain in my abdomen and went to the ER. Not only was I able to get the abdomen pain resolved, but there happened to be a skilled surgeon on the floor that day who talked to me and told me he was confident he could make my chronic pain finally go away once and for all! After the surgery I remember waking up and hearing the OR nurse tell me that everything went as planned and was a success! I'm so much happier now that my chronic pain is finally gone for good! I'm three weeks healed from surgery and it's gonna take another three weeks before things fully get back to normal for me, but it was worth it because I'm now fully pain free! Moral of my (and Nadia's story): Don't give up if you get a "No" the first, second, third time...whatever. Just keep pushing for what you aim for until you get that "yes"!

Back
Top Bottom