Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Pics
I guess my older son would fall into the category of high-functioning autism now that the DSM V did away with Aspergers. He is 13, which has been a pretty harrowing age so far. He doesn't do the teeth grinding, but he used to chew on things a lot... he destroyed a lot of shirts by chewing the collar or cuffs. He would nibble on his lips until they bled, or else he would have his hands in his mouth. We found him chewy necklaces like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Skull-Pend...69303557&sr=8-1&keywords=skull+chewy+necklace
It wasn't "girly" or "babyish" looking, so he wasn't embarrassed to wear it in public and he did use it. I know he still keeps it in his room and uses it occasionally. We would put those rubbery pencil grips on his pencils for school -- we started that because he would grasp them so hard, a fine-motor thing we think -- but he would chew on those too and we thought that was pretty acceptable.

He still picks his nose all the time and his table manners are really terrible. We haven't had any luck working on those habits. He deeply wants for people to like him and wants friends, and he is self-aware enough to realize that he is socially "weird" and other kids don't respond well it, but he isn't able to fix it. We tried letting him hang out with other Aspie kids and he is put off by the same kinds of behaviors in them that he tends to have. I know he feels isolated and it's painful
sad.png

Right now, he is at a really fabulous camp we found last year, and hopefully having a wonderful time:
http://campstompingground.com/

They post pictures on their Facebook page, so here's one of my guy a few days ago at camp:

Several months ago, the camp's directors visited us at our house and the kids introduced them to the chickens:

Day two of the readmore video shoot. Memorizing my lines, and getting my stage makeup on before we shoot.

He at it again, enjoying the time with the Piano Gal video makings. This young girl can play!
Richard loves this stuff. :)

Wow pine..that camp looks like a great place for them. How fun! :)
Another time I can't relate to the type of problems a child deals with. Just thankful their are parents that are there for these special sweet spirits.

I know that these are not chicken related, but my daughter started equestrian therapy when she was 3. These photos are from 2012, but I haven't taken any recent photos. She LOVES going. Her posture, her muscle tone - everything improved after we started. She really wasn't walking, and someone suggested this. I was TERRIFIED the first time she got on a horse. But she was a natural. I'm convinced this helped get her going. It's amazing how animals improve our lives in so many ways!!!!

Jessi, this is great! Animals are awesome at helping. I used to be one of those helpers at the side of a horse back in the 90's, in the small town we lived in..not so small now. Anyway, this older lady had a wonderful indoor area for horses, and she did this a few times a week for special needs kids. Richard couldn't do it. :( His hips were dislocated at birth..never were in. Had the surgeries to get them in the bes they could, but they won't spread far enough to ride a horse.
Your daughter is so cute. :)

So many uplifting things to see this morning as I play catch-up! Cynthia, Richard was having a blast in the Pokemon video! At the end, where the cast members are spotlighted and he does a spin in his chair, I paused it - and the face he is making is priceless!! Kind of a cross between "I bad, I bad" and "woot woot!" Love it!

Jessimom, my sister has a horse ranch in South Dakota and I talked to her about maybe getting this going at her place. She has the gentlest mare, "Dizi" and Bev is so doggone patient and good at helping all of our nieces and nephews and all of our grandkids learn to ride. Last year when we were out there she finally got Katie up on a horse, and Katie was scared out of her mind. But Bev has some kind of magic, and this year when we went out Katie not only got to sit on Dizy while Bev led them, but then Bev told her she was ready to take the reins. Katie trusted her and by golly she did it!! Bev still had a lead rope on Dizy, and when she'd tell Katie to guide the horse to the left, Bev kinda got Diz going that way with the lead rope. But after a turn or two, Katie was doing all the guiding and she was so proud of herself. Due to some serious injuries to her hands, Bev can no longer ride like she did, but she's found a new love - teaching - and she's so doggone good at it!
It sounds like it did wonders for your sweet baby and when I enlarged the photos you can see what a blast she's having!

These special camps, and the people who run them, have a big part of my heart, pinebarrens! When the kids picked Katie up from camp this year, the director and counselors saw Kendra (usually when they pick her up I have Kendra here at home) and asked Jenny if Kendra could come next year. They are on the fence about it - Kendra isn't very communicative but physically she's not much different than a lot of the other kids there. I suggested that they wait, see how much she continues to improve her verbal skills, and how the Mitrofanoff issues finally resolve. Charles Campbell Children's Camp has nurses there, as well as folks who are trained and work with kids with all kinds of disabilities, and the videos the camp posts show a lot of kids with more severe problems than Kendra has. So we'll see. It's great that the counselor came out to your place and met the chickens. That photo is priceless!

Kids are getting ready to head back to Denver this weekend for Kendra's urology appointment. I hope they can find out what's wrong and get it fixed! She's regressing so fast now that it's frightening me.

Back
Top Bottom