Raising Chicks in the summer.

sane cat lady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
This morning my husband and I picked up replacement chicks at the hatchery we bought sexed pullets this spring but two grew into cockerels and the hatchery gave us four day old chicks to replace the two roosters. I have never raised chicks during the summer before and was wondering if I could get some advice. the chicks are in a brooder in my bathroom which has no air conditioning and they seem absolutely fine they are not huddling together for warmth or peeping loudly they are instead going happily about the business of getting older (sleep, eat, poop) my question is, do you use a heat source for your summer hatches? it was 98F today

I got some chicks about two weeks ago and it was hot outside so I kept them inside but not in the AC. They did fine. I have them outside now in a brooder that is in the shade. I brought them in using a pet carrier when we had some above 100 days. I was worried it was too hot. I do have a small box on its side in the brooder and I have noticed they go in it at night and kind of huddle. It has been gettin down to 80 at night.

My guess would be that if they are not peeping and huddling they are just fine. Maybe at night, if the temps go down a bit, they might need some heat. We have 6 day old chicks with their momma and she has them outdoors all day (and they are not underneath her, it's too hot!)

Back
Top Bottom