Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Thank you all very much for your helpful and amusing replies. I just ordered the landing net I'd had in my wishlist for delivery on Friday, which is the earliest we will be able to transfer them anyway. We have a cage about the size that Deb mentioned, that we'll use for transport. I appreciate all the ideas. It does sound like nightime would still be helpful, and we could have cardboard on hand to corner them better. Really dreading this, but I know they will love their new palatial digs.

Thank you!!!

NEW QUESTION:

Do you find that your guineas are horribly messy with their food? Mine scrape out huge amounts of food from their feeder and don't really eat it once it falls on the ground. If I take away the feeder they seem to eat some of it, but not a lot of it. They just wait until I bring a nice big new lot of food. If this is "normal" for guineas, what type of feeders do you use to try to combat it? Or what setup or strategy?

Thank you!

NEW QUESTION:

Do you find that your guineas are horribly messy with their food? Mine scrape out huge amounts of food from their feeder and don't really eat it once it falls on the ground. If I take away the feeder they seem to eat some of it, but not a lot of it. They just wait until I bring a nice big new lot of food. If this is "normal" for guineas, what type of feeders do you use to try to combat it? Or what setup or strategy?

Thank you!

set the food high enough so they have to reach up a little to peck at it. Keeps their feet out of it and minimizes them scattering it about with their beaks.

Same goes for chickens too.

deb

This little video show just how crazy Guineas are. This is the last 50 seconds of a chase that went on for over an hour. This happens every day or two. They just go on and on and on and on......

I watched this laughing at how stupid they were for about 45 minutes or so and decided to try and film it. Of course, as soon as I start filming they stop.

Guineas are just not normal. MY walking closer to them to film it altered the course they were running and they stopped.

0.jpg

Wow did I get that wrong! I have guineas and she(my hen Yukon) has raised three years of broodes. still I said the far left was Guinea....Thanks for the helpful picture. I am alwys happy to learn more about this amazing hilarious breed of fowl!

So over the weekend, one of our guineas appears to have a damaged leg. He seems to be getting around fine though. He does a fly-hop type of move and his gang stays pretty close to him at all times. Any suggestions?

I have six guineas that are 18 weeks old. For the longest they thought they were chickens. Based on calls I believe I have 3 males and 3 females. Just this past week they have been aggressive towards the others. A few days ago it was a hen, today they bloodied our favorite rooster.

I was wondering if I rehome the 3 males, would the females adapt to living with the rest of the chicken flock?

I do love them and their personalities, but I cannot have them harming others.

I have six guineas that are 18 weeks old. For the longest they thought they were chickens. Based on calls I believe I have 3 males and 3 females. Just this past week they have been aggressive towards the others. A few days ago it was a hen, today they bloodied our favorite rooster.

I was wondering if I rehome the 3 males, would the females adapt to living with the rest of the chicken flock?

When it comes to aggression and harming others the sex of the guinea makes little difference. Think of them as a flock of Bonnie and Clydes....

if you can separate them during their aggressive periods. Usually as they come in to sexual maturity... All Guineas are as aggressive its not just the males. As they become more mature the aggression goes back down to pecking order. Be prepared though to keep them separated for quite some time.

deb

Back
Top Bottom