Raising just one turkey poult?

Laci7210

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I had 5 turkeys, and through the 2 weeks I've had them, 4 have died for different reasons. (Heat lamp got shut off one day, one died first day due to hard trip) So now I'm done to one. Will he live ok by himself? He's about 2-3 weeks old. The turkey is a Narragansett. Thanks

I'm new to turkeys myself but I think I would try and get him a friend. I have 5 and despite a 3 hour car ride, managed not to lose any. Mine love to cuddle and hang out together. Be careful where you get another one from as they can pass diseases to each other. I would only buy from a clean reputable breeder/feed store. Make sure they are in clean quarters. We have one place out here that sells their baby turkeys/ducks/chicks/etc out of rabbit cages on shelves with pans 3 inches deep in poop, it's even dripping off the shelves. Where you get them, and how they were cared for previously, makes a big difference in their survival rate in my opinion.

Ok thanks tattooedmama!! My friends turkey is setting on eggs and they are going to raise them until they are ready to move outside for me!! So in a few months I will be getting 3 or 4!! I think I might have a chicken for him to live with until then;)

Sometimes they don't get along if they are different ages so just be careful and watch closely!! I ended up with 3 hatched 5/10 and 2 hatched 5/27. They were separated at the breeders but when I got home I was able to successfully put them in one brooder. The 2 older poults were the smallest of his clutch though (In an attempt to get females), so that may have worked in my favor. Also be careful about mixing chicks and poults, at least until you read up and make a decision for yourself. There is a big controversy on whether it is ok to do this due to Blackhead. Chickens carry it and it doesn't bother them but Turkeys are susceptible to it and it can kill them. The general consensus seems to be that Blackhead issues can be traced to geographical area, some areas have a problem with it while others don't. Just wanted to give a heads up in case you weren't aware.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the warning! I had herd about that and lost my old turkeys due to blackhead! I will keep them seperate then and get him his turkey friends later. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom