Raising Meat Birds for Breeding

:goodpost:
I want to both "love" and "informative" that post. Settled for "informative", "love" isn't really my vibe.

In any event, @Jmhayden23 , there's no reason you can't breed the birds you want to eat, and eat the birds you don't, even though the end result will not be a "breed", or even a recognized hybrid. Its what I'm doing in an effort to eventually develop a bird well suited to my climate, my soil conditions, my needs, and my management style.

Do be aware that its not a fast process, and an often dissatisfying process - BYC is littered with abandoned Breeding Project threads. Part of why mostr consumers buy breeds in the first place, someone else has already invested the time and effort.

Even breeding your own, margins remain very close. Most likely to improve margins by finding a better feed supply and/or enhancing your grounds than by raising your own - unless you eventually plan to sell your creations to others, but that's a long time horizon plan. It would be different if you were raising rare birds that commanded a price premium, but that's not the case with Rangers, and even less the case with CX - even if either did breed true - those are scales of efficiency we can't hope to compete at.
With breeding the hybrids would there be a greater chance of developing some health issues? If your saying it would take time to get a breed to what you like/want, with a hybrid the further you go down the line the higher chances of issues?

With breeding the hybrids would there be a greater chance of developing some health issues? If your saying it would take time to get a breed to what you like/want, with a hybrid the further you go down the line the higher chances of issues?
The reverse actually. Hybrids take genetics from two gene pools and mix them, thus resulting (normally) in fewer genetic issues. The CX is the exception - the genetics that predispose it to health isues long term are exactly the same genetics that make it so valuable as a meat bird in the short term. To lesser extent, the same is true of commercial layers like the golden comet, cinnamon queen, and other RSLs. Chances are, their offspring wont' have the genetics that predispose them to problems, and thus will be healthier birds over the long term - but less productive.

Yes, the plan was to have some strictly layers and then separate meat birds. The Australorps were given to us and unfortunately we only have 4 hens. Any suggestions on a good rooster to maybe breed them with for meat? They are just about two years old at this point.
You can try a larger breed. Brahmas and jersey giants are huge. But I got 25 speckled Sussex a few years back because they are dual purpose. My original alpha male was pretty big and the same size as my Brahma/RIR mix. They have been good tempered and healthy birds. They’ve handled the Alabama heat pretty well and seem to not mind the cold too much either. Now these aren’t the Cornish cross size, but even the smaller hens would dress out very well. They are also decent layers.

Now I don’t mean to shake your etchasketch. BUT, you can do one big dual purpose flock. You can selectively cull and shape your flock to your needs. You’ll always have eggs, and if you cull the smaller birds, you will end up with a steady supply of good sized birds you can eat or just keep around for eggs.

You can try a larger breed. Brahmas and jersey giants are huge.
The breeds that are largest at maturity are usually quite bony when they are young, because they grow the big skeleton first and then get the meat later.

If you want to grow them to full maturity and have a great big bird, they may be exactly what you want. But if you want to butcher them relatively young, they are very disappointing.

If you do want to butcher them relatively young, which is typical with Cornish Cross and Ranger meat chickens, you may want to use breeds that mature early, so they put on more of their meat at a younger age. Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshires, and some other breeds do this. I've read that Leghorns are actually quite good for fast early growth, although of course they stop growing at a size that many people consider too small.

Last edited:
We bought 12 meat chickens this year. We had the same plan as you - we wanted to keep one rooster and 5 hens.

However... It became quite clear they were not exactly meant for this (they will be 7 weeks this coming Wednesday).

We did some research, and there seems to be both egg production issues, heart attacks, and general laziness (ie, barely moving and lying in their own poop).

So, at about 3 weeks we put them together and just feed them all meat feed. They just don't seem meant to be keepers. Heck, their feathers don't even cover their bodies and I don't know think they'd handle winter well

Hello!

I am fairly new to raising chickens. This will be our second year, but our first starting with chicks. We have decided to do meat birds, Freedom Rangers to be exact. They are about 3 weeks old now, but we separated one rooster and 5 hens at a couple days old. We want to keeps these birds as normal and brood eggs to hatch, so we can keep things going. I know with normal meat birds they are now on a 12 hour eating window. My concern is with the 6 birds we are keeping around, if I leave the food in there for 12 hours like the others they are going to eat themselves fat like the normal life cycle they are bred for. Does anyone know how much I should be feeding them daily to keep them around for a while? Am I even doing this right? Any input is appreciated!
Sorry, I'm just seeing this question and wanted to add my two cents, but I hope you've gotten satisfactory answers by now. When we first got started with chickens my hubby bought Cornish cross by accident. YES, they will eat until no food can be found! I tried one of those bucket feeders that you diy, had to refill it almost daily for my six, until I did some research and discovered what kind of chickens we actually had. In spite of their huge size, unavoidable health issues, inability to roost, hot weather intolerance, a fox attack, etc. I actually had two of them live to be 18 months old before we gave them away and bought the chicks we have in our flock we've had for a year now...quite the experience...

Back
Top Bottom