My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
The topic of dual purpose birds and sustainability come up a lot on this forum. After raising about 50 cornish x, and learning a few things about meat birds and processing, and reading threads by people like @U_Stormcrow I decided I am ready to sacrifice their quick growth for an option a little more sustainable AKA I DO NOT want to have to order meat chicks every year from a hatchery. So after having chickens on this property for 18 months and really evaluating my poultry needs and goals, I've come up with a rough plan for my IDEAL homestead flock.

The theory is: to raise New Hampshire Reds and Delawares. The NHs are Henry Noll line heritage "meat" birds selected for quick growth and favorable carcass. The Delawares are a Heritage line coming from a small hatchery, Art's hatchery, selected for STANDARD and egg production. A pure line of each of these will be kept. I will be selecting to the standard and for mothering abilities/egg production in the Delawares, and keeping mainly hens. For the New Hampshires I will select to the standard and for fast growth and favorable carcass. Keeping mostly roos. Now for the cool part...

When crossing these birds, a heritage cross, dual purpose sex link is born! I will keep the males as meat birds and sell the females as red sex link layers. I think people in my area, who are pretty conscious and local minded, will much appreciate having access to a guaranteed female laying machine that was produced from heritage birds in their area. I may even call them New England Homestead Hereos. This is my grand idea. :oops:

The Practice: So on 7/14/ 21 my birds hatched and I got them a few days later. I got 13 NHs and 13 Delawares, planning to keep about 12 for the breeding project and process the rest at 16 weeksish.

Fast forward almost six weeks and they are growing fast! The NHs are already very easy to sex. I separated out my NH roosters today so I can better observe them and make my selection for keepers based on how they grow out. I have 6 or 7 apparent roos and think I will keep 2 to start. Here are the biggest 3 as of now. I will likely weigh them at 6 weeks (Sept. 1st).
20210824_131550.jpg
Look at those comb/wattles for 5 weeks old!
20210824_131711.jpg

20210824_131548.jpg

The Delawares are not so easily sexable yet. I grabbed what I think is 5 girls and a boy, but it is 50/50 right now. I'm sure I will shuffle them around a few more times before we are thru. Here is I think the male.
20210824_132002.jpg

And the possible ladies.
20210824_141227.jpg

You can really see the size difference in these. The NHs sure mature fast.
20210824_141233.jpg

20210824_141232.jpg

If you have read this far you deserve a medal! I will be sharing my experiences with these birds and what I learn from them in this thread.

Anyone else doing something similar and want to share results?

Any one else want to share how they set up breeding pens to keep groups separate for a project like this, I would REALLY appreciate it. That is what had been racking my brain lately.

Thanks for reading!

One question, so there are other breeds of chickens that are fast growth not just the standard cobb500 or cornish cross Broilers?

I'm interested in getting Fast growth chickens for sustainability as well
Yes. I would call the cornish cross broilers "super fast", reaching processing weight at about 8 weeks. They are a hybrid of a few breeds, and a terminal cross.

The "fast growing" breeds like red rangers are also hybrids, but grow a bit slower than cx, ready for butchering about 12-16 weeks. They are also hybrids, and basically a terminal cross, but take longer to die than a cornish x would.

Then there are heritage breeds. These are not crosses, and breed true. Many of these breeds used to be really dual purpose, not laying quite as much but getting a bit larger. The "line" of these that you get within the breed is very important depending on your goals. I would probably have very different results if I bought non heritage, hatchery quality NHs. The NHs I got have been being bred for meat qualities long before I got my hands on them.

Thank you @sourland ! I am very much looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. No matter how much I try to plan, I always feel like I am "winging" it when it comes to breeding poultry! :D
80 years old - a lifetime with poultry, and still there is so much to learn. That's part of the fun. Have you seen @duluthralphie 's thread on the 'Toads' that he is working with?

I know breeders in mexico have 4.5kg about 9.92lb
At 4-5 weeks ready to butcher
But these type of birds die in an instant with a simple sneeze
Currently raising buff orpington cross for selling egg layers and naked neck for meat but rhode island red are very popular I have been asked about meat birds and I do not want to raise cornish as last time they all died I had them

80 years old - a lifetime with poultry, and still there is so much to learn. That's part of the fun. Have you seen @duluthralphie 's thread on the 'Toads' that he is working with?
Couldn't agree more about learning being part, maybe even the lion share of the fun.

Ralphie's thread was most helpful. My first inclinations were to try and copy his model to a T but then my brain got to workin...

I know breeders in mexico have 4.5kg about 9.92lb
At 4-5 weeks ready to butcher
But these type of birds die in an instant with a simple sneeze
Currently raising buff orpington cross for selling egg layers and naked neck for meat but rhode island red are very popular I have been asked about meat birds and I do not want to raise cornish as last time they all died I had them
9lbs at 4-5 weeks? Those are some loco numbers my friend. At 8 weeks my cornish were about that size, not even. Here is a pic of an 8w/o cornish I raised last year.

20200820_145401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom