Raising Spanish black turkeys?

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
I’d love to hear about anyone’s experience raising Spanish black turkeys. Some friends gave us a pair when they had to move. Might have some bronze mixed in. We’re hoping for some eggs this spring. Any tips on creating a nesting area they will like? Should we expect this breed to go broody? And what are your top tips for raising poults as naturally as possible?
2E80BF06-0851-48A7-BF4E-62DFBA2A0076.jpeg

Generally hens will pick a secluded spot, and start laying. You can encourage them by leaning pallets against the wall or using pine branches to cover the area you want them to lay. Sometimes they just know where they want to lay, and it can be hard to change their minds.

Most will go broody. You will need to separate her for the best chance of survival for the poults. I didn't have any luck letting my hens set, so I hatch them under my bantams and brood them myself. They are tamer that way.

I love Spanish black. They are one of my favorite breeds.

Generally hens will pick a secluded spot, and start laying. You can encourage them by leaning pallets against the wall or using pine branches to cover the area you want them to lay. Sometimes they just know where they want to lay, and it can be hard to change their minds.

Most will go broody. You will need to separate her for the best chance of survival for the poults. I didn't have any luck letting my hens set, so I hatch them under my bantams and brood them myself. They are tamer that way.

I love Spanish black. They are one of my favorite breeds.
Thank you! She’s got eight eggs in the nest now (set up a board for her to nest behind and she liked it). Do they like to get to a certain number of eggs before sitting on them? My incubator is full and I had a bad experience trying to hatch some turkey eggs under my hens last year so I’m hoping she will hatch them. Also, how long can I store them before hatching them in an incubator? In case she doesn’t go broody.

Thank you! She’s got eight eggs in the nest now (set up a board for her to nest behind and she liked it). Do they like to get to a certain number of eggs before sitting on them? My incubator is full and I had a bad experience trying to hatch some turkey eggs under my hens last year so I’m hoping she will hatch them. Also, how long can I store them before hatching them in an incubator? In case she doesn’t go broody.
Most will clutch up at around 10-20 eggs. Sometimes if the conditions aren't right they will lay but not go broody for that clutch.

Generally eggs are best for 7-14 days, but technically if stored correctly they could go longer. If you are storing them for hatching it's best to put them in an egg carton fat end up and set the carton at a 30 degree angle and rotate which end is up daily. Best storage temperatures are around 55-70 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom