Random Bantams

InexperiencedFowl

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
These are from my first round of chicks. 1st round is from TSC. Had a pair that looked like chipmunks and a pair that were white. Lost one chipmunk and one white turned pretty grey. I'm pretty positive the grey one is a roo. I have no clue other than that.
20230619_211303.jpg
20230619_211253.jpg
20230619_211124.jpg
20230619_210849.jpg
20230619_210828.jpg
20230619_210930.jpg
20230619_211140.jpg
20230619_211110.jpg
20230619_210814.jpg

Attachments

• 20230619_211142.jpg
    20230619_211142.jpg
    866.3 KB · Views: 4
They are all old English game bantams. The chipmunk is black breasted red, the grays are splash. You're right about gender. Only the darker gray one is a cockerel.
Thank you so much! Can you tell me, if a bantam is a roo will the same ratio of about 10 hens to 1 roo apply? I have 4 Americauna hens, 2 wyondotte hens, and 4 polish of unknown gender currently. They seem to stay flocked separately, with the Polish and Wyondottes in one group and the others in another but they do live in the same coop.

Thank you so much! Can you tell me, if a bantam is a roo will the same ratio of about 10 hens to 1 roo apply? I have 4 Americauna hens, 2 wyondotte hens, and 4 polish of unknown gender currently. They seem to stay flocked separately, with the Polish and Wyondottes in one group and the others in another but they do live in the same coop.
You are more than okay on the ratio.

Anything less than 5 and there is a chance that he will overbreed them. And anything more than 10 he will have a hard time keeping them all fertile, if you are considering hatching/brooding.

Jed may have something else to add, but that is kind of the rule of thumb

You are more than okay on the ratio.

Anything less than 5 and there is a chance that he will overbreed them. And anything more than 10 he will have a hard time keeping them all fertile, if you are considering hatching/brooding.

Jed may have something else to add, but that is kind of the rule of thumb
Thank you. I don't really have a preference for hatching or brooding I just figured if I bought straight run chicks I'd probably end up with roos as well so I tried to buy them in numbers that would minimize fights or injuries.

Thank you. I don't really have a preference for hatching or brooding I just figured if I bought straight run chicks I'd probably end up with roos as well so I tried to buy them in numbers that would minimize fights or injuries.
What just a darn second.

You mean to tell me, this is the ratio you ended up with after purchasing straight run chicks!?!

What just a darn second.

You mean to tell me, this is the ratio you ended up with after purchasing straight run chicks!?!
I only bought the Americaunas sexed, with the bantams. Then 2 silver laced wyandotte, 2 buff lace polish, 2 gold laced polish from a local hatchery. They were all straight run, I was originally planning for them to go in seperate coops, but building the first took so long I just put them together. I was hoping to have a Polish rooster, but with all the rest being hens (except 1) now I'm afraid to try to sex the Polish because they're probably all roosters 🤣

I only bought the Americaunas sexed, with the bantams. Then 2 silver laced wyandotte, 2 buff lace polish, 2 gold laced polish from a local hatchery. They were all straight run, I was originally planning for them to go in seperate coops, but building the first took so long I just put them together. I was hoping to have a Polish rooster, but with all the rest being hens (except 1) now I'm afraid to try to sex the Polish because they're probably all roosters 🤣
I happen to be a Polish master (self proclaimed of course 😉) and can take a look.

We are in the beginnings of starting a Polish breeding program here.

Back
Top Bottom