Random Turkey showed up...

lamanfarms

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 17, 2015
Hello! I had a random turkey show up at my place today and she is super friendly even more than my own chickens. Can anyone shed any light as to what she is or even if she is a she. We have never had turkey and any advice is great. I have about 40 chicken currently and two goats who all share the same pen but the chicken free range on over 20 acres. Can I keep everyone all together and live in peace?

Attachments

• 728DD2C8-4490-4F7D-8BCB-214D150CB533.jpeg
    728DD2C8-4490-4F7D-8BCB-214D150CB533.jpeg
    872.3 KB · Views: 67
Hello! I had a random turkey show up at my place today and she is super friendly even more than my own chickens. Can anyone shed any light as to what she is or even if she is a she. We have never had turkey and any advice is great. I have about 40 chicken currently and two goats who all share the same pen but the chicken free range on over 20 acres. Can I keep everyone all together and live in peace?
They should be all fine together if you introduce them slowly. Then again, it's best to have one or two more turkeys together.

If it's wild, it's not the best to let it into your flock in case it has a spreadable illness/disease.

I think it's a female, and probably a Bronze Turkey

I definitely don’t think it’s wild. We have neighbors. We live in village limits but are at the edge of town. So past me there bigger farms but in town all half acres lots. She lets me hold her and eats out of my kids hands. The hens don’t pay her any attention and the rooster was a little intimidated at first but now doesn’t care. I didn’t know if I should find her a home or keep her.

I definitely don’t think it’s wild. We have neighbors. We live in village limits but are at the edge of town. So past me there bigger farms but in town all half acres lots. She lets me hold her and eats out of my kids hands. The hens don’t pay her any attention and the rooster was a little intimidated at first but now doesn’t care. I didn’t know if I should find her a home or keep her.
Wow, very friendly!
I would ask neighbors around if anyone owns her. If not, I would slowly start introducing her to the flock (cage in chickens run, separate at night, etc.).
If you want to keep a turkey, do it! They should be fine with chickens after a while.

And if you end up keeping her, I would plan on looking for a friend for her. I wouldn't want her to be all lonely as the only turkey :)

Let us know what you decide and keep us updated!

It is nesting season so maybe she escaped her farm and is looking for someplace to hide a nest.
So she has free range to come and go as pleased. I let my birds come and go all day and pen then up at night to protect them from predators. She spends all her time in the goat pen or following the kids around the property. She was penned up in a dog cage inside the barn last night. My husband opened the cage this morning and she wouldn’t come out for him. I walked in and put my arms up to reach for her and she come right over and let me pick her up and put her on the ground. So definitely hand raised by a woman. Stopping by the neighbors after I get off work today to make sure she doesn’t belong to them.

How did it go with the neighbors?

She looks like my young artisan gold poults. I’d guess she’s that or black Spanish. I just don’t know if black Spanish have white on them.
Im no expert.

She sounds like a real doll🙂 Being that friendly I’d imagine someone is missing her.

Is this normal for turkeys? I mean I have never been around a turkey ever. Are they sweet? Trusting? Like she seriously was crying to come in our barn the first morning and hasn’t left. She has freedom to not return if she didn’t want to but she never goes far unless it’s to follow us. She actually loves sitting with my broody hen and her babies.

One last thing... I was sitting on the bench at the end of the night and she jumped up and stood there “talking” to me and I put my arm up and she scooted in and say down. It’s to weird... but I definitely agree I think someone one of missing her. I just don’t know who...

Back
Top Bottom