Rapanui Fowl: Ponape Thread

I think the isolated pockets of unique birds are coming from people who are dumping or losing different purebred birds. My many trips to the park have produced two different purebreds. Here are the two that we took home and redomesticated. The plymouth rock hen had a clutch of chicks while loose and there are a bunch of her halfbreed kids running around the park now.
Dude, that's really cool. No offense, but it's like chicken dumpster diving. But, how do you catch them in the park? They are both realy nice. People in your neighborhood have good taste in chickens if those are the ones they dump.

IMG_E5497.JPG
IMG_E5498.JPG

My Duckwing Ponape get the tuft of white around 6-8 months too. I've seen some Duckwing/Wildtype patterned roosters that do not get a distinct tuft.

Last edited:
Oh I love him!!
He's a beauty! His genetics are part of one of the two I'm working to maintain. One line is Ponape Junglefowl, the one he comes from. The other is a Saudeleur Ponape line, more like the silver male in my first post. Both are related and the distinct features of both can appear within either line as crossing has been necessary to maintain genetic diversity and vigor.

He's a beauty! His genetics are part of one of the two I'm working to maintain. One line is Ponape Junglefowl, the one he comes from. The other is a Saudeleur Ponape line, more like the silver male in my first post. Both are related and the distinct features of both can appear within either line as crossing has been necessary to maintain genetic diversity and vigor.
So you have two seperate pens for them?

Back
Top Bottom