Rapanui Fowl: Ponape Thread

I think the eclipse plumage (if it still exists) would be a good way for a layman sort out the most primative. Evidently it has always been very subtle and was lost early in the domestication process. The only way to confirm it may be by looking for pin feathers in June and then again in October. I guess it is possible that it was only discovered initially by ornithologist examining dated study skins.

What island do you stay Ryder? Those don't look like windward Oahu chickens.

When you think about it, we are witnessing nature's attempt to evolve new landraces today. Trouble is, people will not leave it alone long enough for them to stabilize.
Sorry, I haven’t checked in for a while. I am on Oahu. This population is at the ewa end of Kapiolani park near the elementary school.

Sorry, I haven’t checked in for a while. I am on Oahu. This population is at the ewa end of Kapiolani park near the elementary school.
No, sorry to bother. I don't get to town much these days.

This is sort of an interesting subject though. On this side of the island you usually see three kinds of flocks. Those with OEGF-like (wild-type) hens, those with Wheaten-like hens, and some with black Maran-like hens up near the north shore. Almost all have RJF/BBR-type roosters. Almost all are a large bantam size. Most times, the hens will look uniform within a flock.

You have to figure that every sort of chicken imaginable must have excaped or been dumped at some point along the way. Why do these color patterns take hold and persist?

can you elaborate on this please?
RED JUNGLEFOWL (Gallus gallus) – Moa – (See images below)
DESCRIPTION: The Red Junglefowl male has orange-red crown and neck feathers, a red face, comb and wattles. The long curved black tail has iridescent green and blue tones. The under parts and wings are black and there’s a white patch on the lower back. The sides are a combination of crimson red, black, and long orange feathers. The bill is yellowish and slightly downcurved. The legs have a spur. Both legs and feet are grey. The female is medium brown with a bare red face and throat, and has a small red comb. The male is around 28 inches (70 cm) long, while the female is around 18 inches (45 cm) long.
VOICE: https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Gallus-gallus

Interesting; thanks!
My Penedesenca cocks seem very similar, including the fountain of white feathers at the base of the tail. Compare
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...vgarh.jpg/240px-Gallus_gallus_Bandhavgarh.jpg with these (about 9 months old)
Phoenix and Pip.JPG

No, sorry to bother. I don't get to town much these days.

This is sort of an interesting subject though. On this side of the island you usually see three kinds of flocks. Those with OEGF-like (wild-type) hens, those with Wheaten-like hens, and some with black Maran-like hens up near the north shore. Almost all have RJF/BBR-type roosters. Almost all are a large bantam size. Most times, the hens will look uniform within a flock.

You have to figure that every sort of chicken imaginable must have excaped or been dumped at some point along the way. Why do these color patterns take hold and persist?
I think the isolated pockets of unique birds are coming from people who are dumping or losing different purebred birds. My many trips to the park have produced two different purebreds. Here are the two that we took home and redomesticated. The plymouth rock hen had a clutch of chicks while loose and there are a bunch of her halfbreed kids running around the park now.

Attachments

• 7DD45FF8-028F-41BD-AAF3-F5D2532DC2D9.jpeg
    7DD45FF8-028F-41BD-AAF3-F5D2532DC2D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • E830527B-D83A-44A0-8D0C-E510C1A7E86C.jpeg
    E830527B-D83A-44A0-8D0C-E510C1A7E86C.jpeg
    651.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom